Driven

I'm not feeling chatty today for some reason, so I will post a scene from my first ever WIP, Driven. It's finished but needs severe editing (as does the scene I'm going to post). One day I intend to get back to it.

Chloe lost her father to a heart attack sustained while in the middle of a race. She had been racing as well and didn't know what happened until the race was black flagged and she came off the track.

Jess is her main competition on, and off, the track. He's also the son of her father's lifelong best friend, partner, and her godfather. Through all the competition and constant bickering between Chloe and Jess, there has always been the underlying knowledge that they understood each other and would be there for one another when it counted.

After her father's funeral Jess takes Chloe to a bar to get wasted. Which she promptly does by drowning in tequila shots. Shortly thereafter Scout (Jess' father) shows up and offers his philandering son some words of advice on how Chloe should make it home. Namely: fully clothed and untouched. The scene picks up just after Scout walks away from the table.

*snip removed by blog owner*

Comments

Shelley Sly said…
Wow, this is so real. You write "drunk first person" really well, which isn't easy to do.
This was really good. i liked it a lot. And this line?

He smelled like home, my childhood. My hopes and dreams. And he felt safe.

This is just excellent.
Tara said…
Thanks Shelley, I'll take that as a pretty big compliment considering I don't drink, lol.

And thank you, Sarahjayne. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)