These Dreams

A quick hello to all my new joiners. It's so nice to have you :)

Yesterday I was having serious computer issues. I hate computers, really I do. Alas, they're one of those can't live with 'em...you know the rest, items. I was able to hit only a couple blogs and make some comments. I figured I'd wake up today and just bum on the computer all morning to catch up before running errands.

Weather had other ideas. My kids had a two hour delay due to all the rain, snow and sleet we got yesterday (I kid you not, we got it all--and all day). Which is interesting, because being from south FL one doesn't tend to see a whole lot of anything but rain.

It was early November of the first year we moved here that I first encountered freezing rain (which I assume is sleet, but not so sure): Hmmm, I wondered, why does the rain sound like it's tapping on my house? Oh, look at that, ice is falling from the sky. Little tiny pellets of actual ice. Interesting.

I called my husband at work to ask if he knew what it was. I dunno, he told me, guess that's what sleet is. I hung up and stood at the door to the deck for another half hour just watching the ice pelt the metal grill.

It no longer interests me in that new sort of way; I find it more annoying these days. Plan-interruption annoying.

So, after dropping the kids off at 10:30 this morning I went to the store. Mind you, I have to be really geared up to shop--in any form. It takes days to talk myself into it, so when the plans were interrupted by Weather yesterday, I wasn't overly sad. However, the sun was shining bright today, so I could no longer put off the inevitable. Well, I could, but we've been out of milk, OJ, bread and lunch meat for two days. Plus I needed to hit two other stores.

By the time I got home and put the groceries away, it was time to get the kids. I am now 2 days behind on blogs and know I will not catch up. I'll just have to start over tomorrow.

What does any of that have to do with dreams, you ask? Nothing. Not a darn thing. If you've made it this far, I now have something to say about dreams. Sorry for the rambling.

My dreams are where I get the majority of storylines, usually just the basic conflict, my brain and music/lyrics take over from there. But I don't so much only dream my dreams, and I've always found that odd. Not to mention, wondered if anyone else is the same.

In my dreams, I'm more a director. I almost always know I'm dreaming (does this mean I'm not fully asleep--ever? No wonder I'm always so damn tired.) and I can stop the action or move aside to see something going on the background. If I don't like something, I simply tell myself make xyz happen instead, and it does.

I'm not sure if this means my true calling in life was movie director, or that I'm just plain weird.

Does anyone else out there have anything similar happen? Or do you have a different oddity about your dreams? Do a lot of your stories come from them?

Comments

Shelley Sly said…
Interesting about you "directing" your dreams! I've had similar experiences more than once (and more often lately than ever) that I'll dream about something either scary or upsetting, and then I'll tell myself, mid-dream, "That didn't happen, start over," and that part of the dream gets disqualified. Man, if only we could do that in real life, right?
Christine Danek said…
I don't usually have dreams about my stories. I usually get hit with a song and I basically daydream about it. The song has to hit me the right way though and when it does I just see pictures in my mind flashing like a movie trailer.
Ah, you're a lucid dreamer! I often am, too! I don't seem to have control of everything, though. For example sometimes, something bad will start to happen, but I can make it go away by forcing my dreamscape to change. It's very bizarre. But very cool, no?

And yes, I completely understand how an entire day can get away from you. Sometimes, you just have to go with the flow. *sigh
I don't often dream. Or if I do, I don't remember. I think it would be totally cool not only to dream but to direct the dream as well. :)
Anne Gallagher said…
I'm more of a nightmare dreamer myself. My real life is so full of stress that it goes straight to my subconscious and wreaks havoc with my REM. I hate going to sleep, hence the napping in the afternoon.
Tara said…
Veru interesting to see how others dream, and that I'm not alone in the way I do it. (Yes, Carolina, I think it's very cool!).

Anne, sorry you have bad dreams often. Does reading something light or funny before bed help any?
Mary Aalgaard said…
Sometimes my dreams seem so real that when I wake up, I have to mentally assess, reality or dream?
Mike Emeritz said…
I'm with Piedmont Writer on the nightmares. However, I also have a lot of dreams that are just...odd. My dreams are also extremely vivid and interactive. I'm almost always in control of myself within the dream too, so it's an intrepid experience for me.

As far as getting ideas from dreams--absolutely! I usually keep a notebook next to my bed so I can wake up and just write away, still partly unconscious, and then fall back asleep. haha.

I wrote a short, horror story that way which won me an award in college. I felt embarrassed to accept; I didn't write it, my brain did. How weird is that?
Hannah said…
I am a lucid dreamer as well and I am frequently killing the bad guys but sometimes they terrorize me. It's a good think I can run in my dreams now!