Who Am I?

I'm not entirely sure. Is anybody? But, I do know that I am not Kasia, Jake, Klara, Chloe or Jess. People tend to ask things like, so which character are you? or did you write ___ that way because you want to be just like her? Er no. I do not want to be an uptight too-smart-for-her-own-good emotionally void textbook junkie. Nor would I prefer to be a gold-digging slut.

Is there any of me in my characters? Well sure. Obviously. I wrote them. Chloe hates shopping, but loves a sweet pair of boots. All me. Kasia has a great "dumb blonde" theory. Yep, mine, too. I, however, have no desire to join the FBI or drive a Dodge Viper around a race track at 160mph (I spent enough of my life at the damn race track, thank you).

But, they are alive in my mind. When I'm writing, I can feel what they're thinking. I sympathize with their pain and I know their intentions are good no matter how they come across to others in the story. I want them to succeed in all they do. And I want them to get the guy/girl. Which brings us to another note.

Yes, I write sex scenes in my books. No, they do not stem (notice I avoided a horrible pun here, you're welcome) from my own experiences. In other words, I do not take my most personal moments of life and offer them in great detail to anyone who reads my work. Matter of fact, Kasia/Jake and Chloe/Jess have different sex. Very different. They are four different people. Very different. With two different relationships...okay, I'm not pressing my luck--you get it by now. Sex in my books=yes. My sex life in books=no.

I will admit that sometimes it can be difficult to separate from a character, especially after an emotional scene. They aren't me, but I sure have a lot invested in them. And in their success. As I've noted before, what I think is going to happen and what actually happens can be quite opposite and surprising. These turns of events can leave me feeling off kilter for days sometimes. I think that's good for the writing process, though, keeps me in the right mind frame.

So, anyone out there that does include massive amounts of themselves in their MC's?

Comments

Anne Gallagher said…
Yes, I have to say that a lot of me is in my characters, both male and female. Don't get me wrong, I don't go around telling Captains of the Royal Navy how to go about training their horses, however I do have a love of horses and that's where Penny got hers.

I think you have to draw on your own experiences as a person to be able to create a character.
Tara said…
I agree, personal experience make the characters real--and hopefully relatable. There's plenty of me woven throughout mine, just bits here and pieces there.

So, at least there's no school to miss this time, eh?
Susan R. Mills said…
There is a little bit of me in my characters, but not a ton. I write YA, so I suppose my characters are more like me before I had life experiences.
Unknown said…
Thanks for visiting my blog :) My main character is a little bit like the feisty, inner teenage "me", but I was pretty quiet on the outside. So I guess she is probably more like me than people would realize. :) But I'm still writing... and she's already taken me away from what I thought was a big part of my main storyline... she's definitely stubborn and I'm sure I'll see more from her that surprises me. :)
Tara said…
Welcome Susan :) I love that--"my characters are more like me before I had life experience." What a great way of looking at it. I don't do YA, but my MC could fit into the age group (though, barely at 19) and the same theory works for her.
Tara said…
Hi Dangerous (love that). I enjoyed browsing your blog last night :)

My MC is stubborn like that, too. I thought she was going to be a Feisty Romantic Heroine--turns out she is more interested in becoming a butt-kicking FBI agent, who knew, lol?

I blogged about something similar a couple weeks ago (Didn't See That Coming).