Consequence

A little bit more on agent blogs, just a little. I'm always amazed to read the agent blog posts about rude people. About the query letters they get that try to threaten or bully them into asking for a partial. Yet another popped up on the Dystel & Goedrich blog yesterday. (If you haven't checked them out, do so. Great agent blog, professional and courteous with a touch of personalization.) After reading posts such as those I'm always temporarily stunned into speechlessness. Very temporarily, obviously.

Mostly, I think, because one of my biggest pet peeves with the world today is people's sense of entitlement. It boggles my mind. No matter who you are, or what your past has been, nobody owes you a damn thing. Get it yourself. Better yet, earn it.

Also, it's just baffling. You know, what happened to that whole...honey than vinegar...thing? I would guess that holds true to anybody, agents included. I certainly don't respond well to demands of any sort. In fact, things can get pretty ugly when that happens.

There will be consequences, I daresay. And consequence is a bigger word than you think...




Ah. Brandon's words always make it better.

Now for my dirty laundry.

So yesterday was a pretty busy day. More gardening, skate night for the kids school. And, oh yeah, cleaning the house a little, very little. Housework is something I try to avoid at all costs. But, there are certain times when it becomes unavoidable.

How does one know when it's reached that point you ask?

A pretty good indication is when your son comes marching down the stairs and hands you a pair of daddy's wet boxer-briefs to put int he dryer. Why wet, you ask? Yes. I asked the same thing. Or rather, yelled it up the stairs. To which hubby replied that he had to hand-wash them in the sink so he had a clean pair for work the next day. Oops. Hints don't get much bigger. But, take notice of how delicately hubby handled that. After almost 20 years together, hubby knows me well.

I had clean underwear, so really, all was good for me. Regardless, some laundry was washed.

That, my fine friends, is why I didn't respond to all the lovely comments on my award post yesterday. So I am thanking you all now.

On that happy note, I'm off. Hope you all have clean undies for the weekend.

Comments

Anne Gallagher said…
Cute post. I don't have hubby anymore and if I don't have clean undies I just go commando. Some of you may think eewwww...but try it once, under a skirt and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Sarah Ahiers said…
pshaaa he could have gone commando.
Also i have a deep, undying love for Incubus. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!
Talli Roland said…
Commando is definitely the way to go. For me and the hubby.

Happy weekend!
Tara said…
Anne - OMG, *snort*

Where were you ladies when I was forced to do laundry yesterday!?!? Sheesh.

Falen - Me too. I heart All Things Incubus.
Christine Danek said…
Very cute post. I will check out that link. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
I actually would rather my man wear underwear. It's disturbing when his naked ass is rubbing all over my clean sheet. I don't pester him about it of course, but I am silently thinking that I wish he would put some damn pants on.

I know alot of people who think they're entitled to everything. My life has sucked the big one sometimes but I don't go looking for hand outs... come on people!!
Shelley Sly said…
Re: People's sense of entitlement -- Amen! It's one of my biggest pet peeves too. I believe that hardly anything comes without hard work, and this applies to trying to land an agent, too. If you get consistently rejected, work on improving your craft or write another novel, then query some more. Threatening or bullying? That makes me sick.

Cute post about the underwear, hehe.
Tahereh said…
great post (love incubus, by the way) and great reminder of writer etiquette.

thanks for sharing :D
Great post. And yes, I am having issues with entitlement as well. :)

And good job on the laundry. Going commando cracks me up.
Joshua McCune said…
Brilliant last line :)
Haha, cute post! From the honey & vinegar to the laundry issues :) And yes, whatever happened to *nice*??
Jemi Fraser said…
Entitled people drive me batty. Especially when I end up teaching them or their kids. Thankfully most people in my experience aren't like that :)
Thanks so much for the follow! Love having new blogger buddies! :)
Alyson said…
I was bopping around in the blogosphere and came across your post Consequence. I thought to myself, “that is a great Incubus song.” Then I scroll down and find out you were referencing it at which point I immediately pressed the follow blog button. :o)

I agree with you 100 percent about people’s entitlement issues. Work hard and be kind. Is that so hard to do?
Tara said…
Wow, lots of fellow Incubus Lovers in the writing world! Awesome. My Friday posts are usually filled with Incubus :)
Susan Fields said…
I laughed so hard at this, I even read it out loud to my husband. This is so us! I can totally see him doing something like that.
Lola Sharp said…
Dude, I like that he fended for himself. :o) What did he use, bar soap?
My husband? No clean boxers, no problem. He wouldn't say a word. He'd just goes commando until the clean boxers magically appear. (I'm the laundry fairy)

Well, you already know I loves me some Incubus, a nice choice this week.

Happy Weekend!
Love,
La-la-la-la Lola
Unspoken said…
Perfect song for this post :)
Tara--Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Fun post! It made me laugh...now I have to go do my laundry.
Jade said…
Totally appreciated the rant at the start of the post. I couldn't agree more!
dolorah said…
I work in social services and feel I only deal with people who have entitlement issues. I guess every career field has its quirks.

Loved the song.

I'm a firm believer that laundry and dishes are someone else's chores.



.........dhole
Unknown said…
Love this post, Tara! Oh, the times I've walked in your shoes!! And the comments you made about people's sense of entitlement were spot on.

Hmmm, I better check the hamper today...

Have a great week!
Hannah said…
I'm with you on not wanting to do housework but I live alone so I always have to do it. Usually I'm okay with living in squallor. ;)