The Warmth

*Wow, I'm adding a disclaimer at the top of this - if it's jumbled, sorry! In the handful of sentences I've already written below I've had to correct some major words - I mean ones that didn't even belong remotely. My allergies have struck big time and I am also not feeling well in other ways. Medicine doesn't sit well with me, so bring on the loopy ;) And expect nothing witty, possibly not even coherent. But, I'll give you some music at the end to make up for it. Also, I will probably not be around much this week. Spring Break means me and the kiddos will be out and about.


Nathan Brandsford's blog from yesterday really hit home for me. Not because I didn't already know it, but because that's vaguely along the lines of something I've been thinking about lately.

A lot of the recent (some not so recent) bestsellers really get knocked around for their writing. And, by other published authors (which I think is horrible, because they should be backing one another - but that's the nature of people these days :( Okay that's another post and I'm losing my footing...) I won't name names, but I'm sure most of you know the authors I refer to. The gist of what's said is that their writing is not great, doesn't follow the rules (aren't those pesky things made to be broken?), and generally they suck at it.

Okay then. Tell me how they got an agent (and yes, I'm aware one in particular got scooped out of a publishing house slush pile)? How did that agent sell such a crappy piece to a publisher? And, what - movie rights you say?

Here's the thing (I think I'm making a point, but my mind is really wandering here!): It seems to be that the general public wants to read something that's not only entertaining, but easy, quick. Maybe it goes along with the Fast Food Generation (you can Have It Your Way almost anywhere these days). People are busy, they work longer hours, have families, etc., but they still want to read. This is a GOOD thing for all of us struggling writers. We want people to read.

And, if they want quick and easy, who am I to argue. They can read mine. Cause that's how I roll, er, write.

So, if you had to forgo reading the mess above, here's the music I promised.

This one goes along with the previous post about entitlement and DIY. Love this band. Love them.


Of course, I can't forget about the title to my post. And what everyone should remember to experience...

Comments

Sarah Ahiers said…
Boo on allergies!
I've actually been allergy free for a few years now. I have no idea why...
Anonymous said…
I am so with you one this. I say this to everyone who talks mad crap about the twilight series or vampire academy, or anyother novel. I say "Wheres your published novel?" Um, yeah..you dont have one. Now a days people are even jealous of people they've never even met..its insane! Even other authors. Why can't people just be freakin' stoked for other people's success? AHH...

By the way Good Morning Tara! Sorry about your stuffy nose and watery eyes. It will be over soon. :)
Tiffany Neal said…
It also drives me crazy when people takl about YA like it's water down literature. Like it's embarrasing to admit that they read YA because it is a different "category" and "not a real book." Grrr.

But, it is funny about said book because I get harrassed about my "writerly" ways which isn't follwoing the rules. Seems to me that more people get published who don't follow the "Rules." Or at least those books end up becoming popular.
Talli Roland said…
Poo on allergies! It's that time of year over here in the UK... last year I have devil eyes (super red!) for about three weeks! Hope you feel better soon.

It's so easy for people to talk down on popular books. The thing is, writing is difficult however you do it. Unless you're a celeb with a ghostwriter, there's no easy way as far as I'm concerned.
I like to think I'm supportive of other writers, but I'm also a reader too and as such, I have opinions. Sometimes low opinions of certain books. So there are times when I review a book on Goodreads I'll give it a poor review, one-star whatever. That said, I believe there are forums for these kinds of reviews, and that a blog is not the appropriate forum to trash a book. If I review a book on my blog, it will be a positive review or none at all. On my writer blog, I want to be supportive and only supportive.
Anne Gallagher said…
Which is why I don't read books anymore, or read current books. That way I don't have to critique it as it's already been done.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope this passes quickly for you.
Summer Frey said…
And I agree. I don't even really do reviews on my blog--maybe one or two lines praising something I've read, and lately I haven't read anything recent.

Like, everything that's already in the public domain. :-)

Sorry you're not feeling well. Things are blooming here too, and I can already feel myself swelling up.
Susan Fields said…
I hope you feel better soon! I've thought the same thing about these best sellers that are supposedly so bad - obviously they've got something going for them.
Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I don't know. I have reader opinions and I have writer opinions, but I figure nobody really cares about what I have to say so I just skip it all.

Too much drama otherwise, and I have all the drama I can handle right now.
Christi Goddard said…
I have all sorts of opinions, but they are MINE. No, you can't them. No, I don't share. I'm greedy.
Lola Sharp said…
I hope you feel better soon Tara.

Happy Spring break/Easter.

Love,
Lola
Jemi Fraser said…
Hope those allergies get better soon - it's not fun!!

Selling is all about timing and filling a niche/need :)
Shelley Sly said…
Hope you feel better soon!! And yes, I agree with what you said about authors bashing other authors, wondering how they got published, etc. I have my opinions (based on what I've read personally, not based on what the general public thinks of certain authors) but I keep them to myself. It doesn't help one writer's image to bash another. Good point.
Alyson said…
First Incubus and now Shinedown? AWESOME! I've seen Shinedown twice in concert and they are oh-so-good!

Ugh. I'm sick too. Hopefully it passes for both of us soon!

I totally agree with you on this post. Can't we all just get along and be happy that people are reading?
Rebecca T. said…
Sick = :(

But isn't cold medicine fun :)

Oh, yes, people just love to bash other people. There is some tripe out there, but it's out there. If you don't like it, don't read it. You don't have to bash the author and the people who read the author.

I had a point, but I don't seem to be that coherent. And I'm not even on any cold medicine.
Hannah said…
I'm with you on the allergies. ugh!

People should read what they want to read and write what they want to write because everyone has their own opinions and likes. If we all read the same thing and wrote the same way, things would be so DULL!! Live and let live!
Jai Joshi said…
Tara! Poor you, I'm sorry to hear about those allergies.

Writers these days can be insecure and spiteful. In fact, there's always been an element of this, stemming from competition and their own sense of inadequacy.

Everyone has feelings that they're not good enough and to cover it up some people attack someone else's work. It's sad but understandable which is why I never bother listening to stuff like that. I just read what I want to read and ignore the background noise.

Regarding you're point about people wanting to read what's easy, I think it's true to a certain point. I also think there are people out there who are looking for more and want to read something that makes them think. I write for those people.

Jai