A Clean Slate

First and foremost I have to say thank you to everyone who commented on my first page. I had two very busy days and didn't get back in here in time to keep up with the comments, but each and every one was appreciated. I did read everyone's first page and commented - except a few of the links that didn't work. And there were a handful that I tried to comment on, but the comments didn't go through? So, if you didn't get a comment from me, you really did, the blog ate it, I swear ;)

Also welcome to my new friends. I've said it before, but feel it's worth mentioning again, if you are following my blog and I haven't followed you, it's because your little picture doesn't link me back to you. Leave a comment with a link trail and I will happily return the favor :)

I love a clean slate. Especially when it refers to a newly tilled vegetable garden. My FIL tilled a few weeks ago and I got my lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, pole beans and carrot seeds planted. We had a good rain (why it looks flat and not freshly tilled) just after and I'm hoping to see little baby veggies peeking through any day. I still have lots of other seeds to get in in the coming weeks (have a 45x25 area to fill!). And I should be getting asparagus any time now, too. Yum. Yum.



I love flowers. I plant at least fifty new bulbs every year. One day my entire front yard will be tulips and daffodils in the spring. Of course, every year fewer tulips from previous years bloom. But that's okay, my favorites are out in full swing right now. Isn't this the prettiest color:


I even found daffodils with the same interior-ring color:


These grape hyacinths are going to take over the entire world one day! I planted about 20 bulbs, 3 years ago, and they are now growing in thick clumps along the entire front of the flower bed. That's okay - they're gorgeous.



As evidenced above, I am a horrible photographer. I didn't come close to doing these beauties justice. Nothing makes my green eyes greener than those with photographic talent! But, I figure the flowers are pretty enough that everyone will get the gist of it :)                                                                                                                                                                       

Have a Happy Monday and great rest of the week. Oh, and don't ask why my text is all funky? User error, I'm sure.                                                                              
















Comments

JE said…
I've always wanted a huge garden full of corn, potatoes, green beans, green peppers, tomatoes and such that I planted. Problem? Deer. We are infested and no fence will keep them out. Grrr...

~JD
Christi Goddard said…
Go you and your gardening self. I can't even grow a chia pet.
Summer Frey said…
Awesome! My in-laws are coming tomorrow to till up my small gardening space and help me fill it. I'm going a bit small on the vegetables, but I'm doing a bunch of herbs. Can't wait!

Beautiful flowers! Love the hyacinths!
Jemi Fraser said…
Very jealous here - we can't plant anything until after the first full moon in June! Love the shots of your flowers :)
Julie Dao said…
What beautiful flowers! :) There's something so cheering and happy about them. I wish I had a green thumb, but the gardener in our family is my mom. She likes tulips and lilacs, and her house is surrounded by them in the spring and summer.
Beautiful flowers, beautiful pictures. :)
Christine Danek said…
I wish I had a green thumb. You have beautiful flowers. Thanks for brightening my day!
Sarah Ahiers said…
JEALOUS!
We haven't put in our veggies yet. We need to expand the garden and that requires more pavers and it's still a little early for the pavers to be out at our hardward store.
Le sigh.
Anne Gallagher said…
Nice Garden, nice flowers, nice outdoor space.

I got my dirt on Saturday and have been shoveling non-stop. Well, I took a break today.

Hopefully by this weekend I'll have my stuff in the ground.
Shelley Sly said…
How pretty! I don't have a yard, so no gardening for me, but it must feel nice to start on something fresh as spring rolls in. Thanks for sharing, very happy post! :)
Talli Roland said…
Beautiful flowers! What are you talking about? Those are great photos! I wish I could plant some flowers but I have to content myself with the hanging baskets on the street-lamps. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you!
Tara said…
Aww, sorry for those of you who aren't able to have a garden for whatever reason. Especially horrible for someone unable to grow a chia pet, so, so sad ;) LOL

When I lived in South FL, I tried for a garden every year, but it never lived more than a month. maybe had something to do with me forgetting to water the plants every day in the 120 degree sandy soil. Who knows.

NC is the perfect gardening state, everything grows here!
Susan Fields said…
Those flowers are gorgeous! I wish I were a gardener, but I didn't inherit my mother's green thumb (so I go over to her house and ooh and ahh over her yard instead.) :)
Elana Johnson said…
I'm so jealous you can plant already. We have snow on the ground. And it's freezing. So I'm living through you right now.
Lola Sharp said…
Oh Elana, snow on the ground still? You have my sympathy.

Tara, that is a nice big size garden!
It's a little early here, at least according to lore/weather map/zone...but the weather we are actually getting, we should have gone for it sooner. We haven't turned the soil yet, though. Next weekend's project.
Why we bother when the bunnies and deer eat most of it anyway. But, as long as I get tomatoes I'm happy.
Love the pictures!

Happy Monday!
Jai Joshi said…
You made me smile because you reminded me of my mother. She's a gardening enthusiast and likes nothing better than to be digging in the garden, planting vegetables and flowers and whatnot.

I prefer eating the vegetables to planting them!

Jai
Unknown said…
Very jealous!!! I've always wanted a garden but I am far from a green thumb!!! I love eating vegetables and such though!!!

Beautiful pictures!!

I'm now following you! Yay!!
Slamdunk said…
I think blogger ate my first try at a comment, so here goes #2. I am glad that I married into a green thumb family. I get to enjoy the flowers and vegetables that I certainly could not have if I were still a single guy.
Mary E Campbell said…
I love your enthusiasm for gardening - wish I felt the same. I think I need to do what your doing just plant a bunch of bulbs every year and let them cover the bad parts.
Unknown said…
Gardening is awesome. Can I come over when you harvest those delicious veggies?? :))))
Unknown said…
So pretty! I love flowers too and, someday, I will have my own garden! Beautiful!
Hannah said…
I wish I had the talent to garden. Something I'm lacking. You did a great job though! Love the pics!
MTeacress said…
What lovely flowers. I can hardly wait to plant my garden - my husband tilled it last Sat. but now there are 3 inches of snow on top. Nice blog! :)
I can't garden, but I love flowers. i can't wait plant fresh new flowers!! :)
I love your photos. We have a park a block from our house in the city. It's my favorite time of year because it's full of cherry trees filled with white flowers. In a couple of days it will be raining petals and the park will be carpeted with them. I'm so happy that spring is back.
Kathy said…
I love asparagus. I haven't tried to plant a veggie garden in FL, save for potted tomatoes. And herbs...I always have herbs growing. The flower pix are lovely!
Tara said…
I'm beginning to redgret the flowers...a little. Pollen has drenched the city today!

Thanks for the nice comments - and Kathy, thanks twice