Facebook



I feel like ranting. I know, we're not "supposed" to do it here. But I don't really follow directions/rules/authority. As a matter of fact, the first thing I do when someone tells me not to do something is pretty much to do it. Hubby figured that out long ago. Can't remember what it was about, but a conversation ensued with him eventually saying: "Why would I tell you no to that? Then you'd be certain to do it." He was right. If someone tells me I can't do something, I will try my damndest to prove them wrong. So take that naysayers!

Who is the authority on all this blogging anyway? I kinda thought the point of blogging was like an online diary, only for all my sneaky younger brothers and sisters of the world to see. Not that you all are younger than me...Ahem!

Blogging is not the gist of my current rant, believe it or not. I will start with a story. It seems off track, but you know be by now. I always have a point (okay just play along) and I always get there. Maybe. Sometimes. Bah.

I realize that my posts have had the ending of a mystery novel chapter. A bad one, and poorly written one. You know, those faint hints of something amiss without the slightest clue to what that something could be. (This will eventually become my rant, follow along if you can).

The last week here has been weird and trying and, well, weird is the best word. I'm still kind of in a floaty shock feeling. Rest assured, I am not plotting anyone's death by poison, I've no plans of running away with the UPS guy, and my car is not being repossessed (kinda hard when it's paid for).

You live day to day; the world spins around, hubby goes to work, bills get paid, groceries get shopped for, dinner gets made, and, if my family is really super lucky, laundry gets done. Rinse and repeat. Then one day that's not what happens.

Disclaimer (pretend this is really tiny writing and read it in a small voice): I will not go into actual details for personal reasons, but I won't be nearly as vague as previous posts.

Instead, hubby goes to work and gets a phone call from an old friend. A friend who left their mundane middle-of-the-road job for bigger and better things. Friend offers these big things to hubby. And it seems to good to be true. Friend sends much proof and makes promises, and hubby has always trusted friend. These big things suddenly become to good to pass up.

It's a scary thing to jump ship from a comfy cabin into the murky waters of what-if in these crazy times. But, we have. So there you have it, no big mystery, hubby got a new job, basically - sort of. And it's scary and exciting all at once.

Haha! We come to the edge of pier. Let's jump in.

You know those Facebook staus updates that annoy the crap out of me? Sure you do. The ones that go something like this:

That's it. I quit. Why is the color orange doing this to me. Please help.
or
That was the meanest thing ever. People suck and life sucks.

What the hell are you quitting, what has Orange done this time, and who is mean dammit? Freaking tell me something. Or don't tell me anything. I don't really care.

It makes me wonder, what do these people hope to accomplish? Because my first thought is...ohhhh, they want all of their friends to jump into comments:

Like, omg, what's up? I hope you're okay.

U k? Please, please say something.

I can come right over, please let me know if soemthing is wrong. I'm so sorry Orange is such an asshole.

I'm totally worried about you. I love you. You're the best ever.

Giant pity party! Blech. I don't do that, I just get pissed at the person. I'm more of a suck it up kinda gal, if you haven't already figured that out by this point. If you need to talk, or rant, go for it. Just let me know what it's about. I'd love to help you through a hard time if I can.

More aggravating is their next post:

Awesome! Lost is on tonight and my BFF is coming over for a girl party. It's been a super day!

What? What! Twenty minutes ago life sucked and you were giving up. What?

I feel so much better, thanks for listening, cause you know, you had no choice and all.

So do these posts annoy you? Does FB in general annoy you? Do you make these posts every day - and if you do, could you pease give me your motivation. Or do I just have PMS?

Comments

Anne Gallagher said…
I think you just have PMS dearest, don't worry about it. Congrats to Hubs on his new job??? Yes? No? It sounds like you're scared shitless this is going to turn out to be a ponzi scheme or something. I can hear the fear in your voice? Don't worry, it'll be okay.

As for Facebook, yeah, well, that's why I don't go there. At all, ever. It's just stupid. I don't care what the agents say.
Jessica Bell said…
LOL. I'm confused. What does hubby's new job got to do with your facebook rant? LOLOLOL
Slamdunk said…
I use Facebook just to track down and reconnect with old friends. I have too many other things to do than to keep up with the annoying status updates that you describe.

Congrats to your husband.
TL said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
TL said…
Morning ladies - and gent.

Anne - No, it's the same job he has now, same overall company, just a different position, and uh, different location ;)

Allit - Sorry I wasn't clear. I felt that in the past few days I'd been dropping those same annoying status type things on the blog. It wasn't intentional and I wanted to clarify a little before I went into my rant about FB.


Slamdunk - Thanks :)
Unknown said…
Bahaha I am totally loving this post Tara!!! You rant away because these are things that are really annoying on facebook and there isn't much that can be done about it... maybe from now on we should give them the upset of what they want... instead say

"Seriously you're only upset about the color orange?" or
"How many times is this again?"

I wouldn't do it but it doesn't mean I haven't thought about it!
TL said…
Jen - I have decided my response to the completely nonsensical ones will go something like this:

I know. Yesterday fireman and train ate like halloween.
JE said…
I love rants! Don't they make you feel better all over?!?!

I feel the same way about FB updates. Grrr....

~JD
About Me said…
I see no reason you can't rant on your blog. We all must go it sometimes. Rant on.
Susan Fields said…
Good luck to hubby and his new job! That would be scary, but no pain, no gain, right? One of your comments sounded like a move was also coming up? That's also really scary (and so much work!)

I started FB a while ago, connected with some old friends (from, like, grade school - how fun to catch up with them again!), then I gave up on it for a long time and just finally came back. I probably spend less than five minutes on it a day, and I just ignore the pity party comments.

And I agree with Crimey, if a rant is what you need, then rant away!
Summer Frey said…
Ohhhh yes, those FB status updates drive me batty. They're always SO vague. I especially hate it when they use a pronoun... "Why can't he be here for me?" but even that would be too specific. If you feel the need to be vague, maybe you shouldn't be broadcasting it for your 300+ friends to read.

I always ignore them, and if I get pissed about something and feel the need to tell FB, I always use proper nouns. :-)
I avoid FB like the Plague, but your rant was a hoot!
M.R.J. Le Blanc said…
Oh I can't stand most FB status updates. Some of my friends that I regularly chat with don't have obnoxious updates, and their status messages are always complete enough that I'm not left going 'wtf?' (usually because I'm in on the private jokes XD) But there are some who update with every. Single. Little. Thing. They do. I just want to scream 'hate to break it to you, but NOBODY CARES!' One person I long since delisted update like every hour. I kid you not. She did an awful lot for someone who barely left the house >.>
Anonymous said…
Well, Facebook is odd all together. And most of the time the "status updates" don't make any damn sense. But people in general are pretty very eratic and it tends to shine through facebook. Mostly I just ignore, much like I do everything I don't get. Congrats and Hubs new job!!
Sarah Ahiers said…
Yes! Those posts drive me crazy! Just tell me what's wrong, or shut up. serial.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Guess that's why I don't visit Facebook but 1-2 times a week.
shawnawks said…
These are the status updates I hate:

Going to get my nails done


30 minutes later:
Going to lunch

1 Hour later:
Home from mall and now watching TV with the dogs!

REALLY?!?! If I cared about every single thing you did all day I would be doing it with it, not watching your daily play by play on Facebook! What's next?

Going to the bathroom now

Done!

Great post by the way! You are hilarious!
Good for hubby's new position and bad for the Facebook updates. They're only slightly less annoying than the braying on Twitter by people who have no lives.
Alyson said…
If you can't rant here, where can you? ;o)

I'm a suck it up kinda gal, too. If something bad happens, I don't want to broadcast it to the Facebook world. I'll keep it to the friends and family in real life.
TL said…
Alyson - you're nicer than I - I meant if you are whining about something silly, just suck it up, lol.

SarahJayne - Thanks. And, yeah, that's why i avoid Twitter altogether.

Shawn - Those annoy the heck outta me, too! I have 2 or 3 like that.

Diane - I check a few quick times a day. That's probably why I get annoyed, I'm looking for new or real stuff, not that nonsense.

Office Girl - Thanks :)

MRJ - I'm pretty sure I know that same girl ;)

Karen - I KIT with a lot of family through FB, that's mainly why I go.

Summer - Exactly!!

Susan - Not a move for me and the kids...That's gonna be the hard part.

Crimey - Thanks. A rant feels good once in a while :)

Justine - This one sure did...until I went to FB this afternoon to find 2 of these ;)
I think I have similar internal rants!

You've gotta get it off your chest, otherwise how do you let it go?

And I hate those vague Facebook sympathy grabbers too. I won't comment.
Jai Joshi said…
I haven't joined facebook and don't foresee doing so in the near future, thank god. I couldn't handle it.

However, I do want to say with all sincerity: Best wishes to your husband in his new job.

Jai
Mary Aalgaard said…
You might have PMS, but, then, a major life change like a new job can cause the same reactions. Maybe a comment like, you don't make sense, will help you deal with annoying people. That, or click "hide" on their name. That's what I did.
Shelley Sly said…
Oh, amen to the Facebook annoyances. I feel like half my friends' status updates are something passive aggressive aimed at someone else. A recent status I saw was something like: "Just leave me alone and butt out of my life! You know who you are! Go find your own drama!" Um, who's causing the drama here by posting that?

I hope things work out for your husband's job.
TL said…
Theresa - I never comment on them either, no matter how badly i want to.

Jai - Thanks you so much.

Mary - I typically ignore them. Some are family and I like to catch up on other things that are going on, with nieces/nephews, etc. I have hidden a few of those who I call "The Downers": constant life sucks, nothing ever goes my way, blah blah blah posts. They are even worse, imo.

Shelley - Yep, almost that post exactly ;) I just don't get it.
Unknown said…
I'm no help here, 'cause I don't FaceBook. It's never appealed to me, mostly because I have a...difficult family, and I grew up in a small town where everyone still lives and there's no one I want to re-connect with. Yikes!! I sound like a biatch, LOL! Anyhoo, I feel your pain. I imagine I'd feel the same way :)

Thanks for visiting my blog. In answer to your question, I think your 8 yr. old would LOVE Larklight. My son read it at about the same age. And, if your boy is reading at the Harry Potter level, he will have no problem with Larklight. It's really a fab book for kids; I recommend it!

Have a great weekend!
Talli Roland said…
FB can be so annoying. I hate those kinds of posts and usually steer clear of them when I see my FB friends posting stuff like that. If something's really wrong, call me!

Loved the rant!
Tara said…
Nicole - You don't sound bitchy at all, girl! It makes sense that if you still kit with everyone you know (or care to) that you have no need for something like FB.

Thanks for the response. I will be checking that book out soon :)
dolorah said…
You go girl!!

I rarely visit fb. Usually its to respond to someone else, as I have a tendency to lose my own post in all the "I'm awake now" and "Wow look at the pretty bird" updates.

Good luck with hubby's new job; and have a wonderful weekend.

word verif: advedong. Wow, my mind can go soooo many places with this.
Elana Johnson said…
This kind of ranting makes me realize I'm not alone. I dislike facebook for this very reason. You want to be succinct and say what's going on, but it's hard to do without being elusive. I've done it, and I hate that I do it.

I'm trying to be better.

But I'm so with you. I find stuff like that very annoying.
Lola Sharp said…
I don't FB or twitter, for those exact reasons.

(one of my favorite Gilmore Girl episodes is when Luke and Lorelei are in the limo in NYC and he goes on that rant about the city...and L says: Rant Luke Rant. Rant Tara Rant. It's your blog.)

Congrats on the hubby's new position. Does this mean moving?

Happy weekend, Tara.

~Lola
Lola Sharp said…
Crap! I did a big blog award post today and I forgot yours!! I will put one up over the weekend. I'm so sorry.

You know I love and appreciate you...I do.
TL said…
That a great wod ver., Donna, lol.

Elana, I agree, it's hard, and I don't need (want) specifics, but something actual would help. Otherwise I see it as an attention ploy. And I have two 8 year olds, I'm pretty good at picking up on attention ploys ;)

Lola - No worried on the award. I'm not concerned with you posting it if you don't want/have the time - I only wanted to make sure you knew you got it :)

I remember that episode. I so miss tht show! Um, hubby will be commuting more or less.
Eric W. Trant said…
Give it 20 minutes. Life will be all better and you can have a BFF girl party watching DWTS.

;O

My quote: No pity for the pitiful.

I hate pity parties. FB's getting on my nerves, too, for just the same reason, plus that word limit on posts! I mean, what's a writer to do with 425 characters and no line breaks!

Ugh.

- Eric
Rena Jones said…
I don't like those open-ended status reports either. I usually avoid them because they make me feel like whatever it is they're talking about is not my business if I don't have a clue. I have the opposite problem -- my statuses are longer and I guess maybe I tell too much.
TL said…
Eric - LOL. Unfortunately (not really), I don't watch TV ;) But I do love the quote! I think I will use it for my next FB status as a matter of fact!

Rena - I agree, not only is it confusing, but you feel left out of the loop. Welcome, btw :)
Hannah said…
I do find those post annoying but I find FB annoying in general. I would rather enjoy life and go about it rather than stop every two hours to tell people what I'm doing.

When someone posts, "I'm having the greatest conversation right now." I think, well why the hizzell are you on facebook?!"