Company and Television



No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth. I spent last week cleaning for an impromptu visit from my father. Not that he would be horrified if my house wasn't spotless, but he is highly allergic to dogs. I have two dogs, one a black lab, quite possibly the highest shedding dog in the universe (but also the best). So I spend a lot of time vacuuming and cleaning the carpets and blinds and every nook and cranny where dog hair hides. My poor dad still spends his visits sneezing and itching; however, it doesn't deter him from driving 10 hours every couple months to see his grandkids :)



Micki and her twins

Well, when Dad comes he sometimes brings my grandfather. He did this time. Now Grandpa is getting up there (90!), so it's nice that he can still travel - and wants to. But, Grandpa's hearing isn't the best. And Grandpa loves television, especially skimming through the channels for hours on end. If he's not watching his 5th round of the news. Yanno, in case the weather has gone up or down one degree in the past half-hour *pulling hair*.

I am not a TV fan. Not even close. I can count on my fingers the hours of TV I've watched this year - most of that because the kids have wrangled me into watching something with them (Hannah Montana's final season is sure to be a tear-jerker). So, you can imagine listening to it at near-full volume is not my heart's desire. I swear by the time they leave from a visit I am ready to toss a brick through the ridiculously large television taking over my family room.

My point. Who knows? - the tv is blaring and I can't think...Oh! right. I had two blog posts planned for last week that I never got around to writing. Now I can't concentrate on writing anything. No really, I have no idea if any of this makes sense. And I can't even wait until they go to bed, 'cause they are up watching until at least midnight (right under my bedroom, of course, so that I can hear it even in my dreams).

They leave tomorrow, but it's the kids last week of school so I will be writing like mad and spending two half days at school for end of year stuff. Just thought I'd let everyone know I haven't abandoned my blog. I'll be back, muwahahahaha...

In the meantime, if you haven't stumbled across Roh Morgan, take a peek. Roh shares my love of music (same music at that) and writes much like I do, around songs. Check out this post of total awesomeness from Roh.

Hello to my new friends! If I haven't followed you yet, please drop a hello into my comments and I will track you down.

Comments

Avo said…
Mwahaha... And when you'll be back, we'll be here waiting for you. Dum da dum dum daaa!

Digging your lab's twins. ; j

Glad to hear you're still around. Cheers. : j
Aubrie said…
That's so nice that your dad and grandpa can come visit to spend time with you! I don't know what it is about old people and TV, but they seem enthralled by it. My grandma loved watching jungle movies and Jerry Springer on TV everyday.

Having the TV on in the background does make it hard to concentrate!
Anne Gallagher said…
My father is deaf so it's always fun to go over there. You have to yell at him when you talk and sometimes I forget I'm still yelling when I go to the market, for example. Embarressing.

I miss you and can't wait for you to get back. Mwa-ha-ha.
Will Burke said…
Glad you're back -- I was wondering... There's an award for you on my Blog, that should light a fire under ta! :)
Stina said…
My father-in-law's hearing isn't great either, and he watches a lot of tv, too. I feel your pain.

I didn't realize you had twin babies. Boy you're busy, and you still manage to write. You need an award or something. :)
JE said…
That is the cutest pic, ever! My mom has two labs and I can totally see them being really affectionate towards babies.
~JD
Tiffany Neal said…
I used to be a TV person more, but writing totally took over that. So, I know how you feel. Because when my husband is blaring his shows in the other room when I'm trying to write I can only tune it out by plugging my ears with music and writing then.

And that picture is the cutest!

I just finished taking the longest blog hiatus in the history of blogging. Well, maybe not, but I'm sure it's sort of close. Take your time! Everyone will wait for you! :)
Slamdunk said…
Hang in there with all of the juggling. School ends this week for our little ones as well...
Tara said…
Slamdunk - I'm always excited for summer. Then, about 2 weeks in, I start hoping time goes faster ;)

Tiffany - I'm going to be taking a serious-long blog break soon. We're going to be gone for 8 weeks and will have spotty internet. Not sure I'll survive!

Justine - Thanks. It's one of my top-five faves of my munchkins. And, yeah, Micki has always been awesome with these two! Think of the torure she put up with when they were in their 1's ;o

Stina - They are 8 now, so I'm not nearly as busy as I was in those days.

Thanks Will - your typo is my brother's nickname for me ;)

Anne - I can imagine! Kinda like when you're standing in line somewhere and still swaying like you have a child on your hip that you're trying to keep calm ;) We really have to do coffee when the kids are back in school!

Aubrie - It's crazy. He doesn't even care what he's watching half the time. This morning I got to listen to 5 minutes of people screaming (and I do mean screaming) at each other in Spanish.

Alesa - I have to admit, she didn't adore them too much at that age - they were just loud annoyances - but when they started eating in high chairs, for some odd reason, she adored them ;-)
When my parents visit, they take command of the remote and proceed to watch every newscast and game show at full volume. So I understand the confusion factor!
Unknown said…
Volume control is a must in my house... I like TV but I don't need full volume to enjoy it.

Good luck with writing and making the last week your kids are in school count!!

Your blog is awesome!
Jennifer Shirk said…
I'm not a TV person either--I much rather read.
Glad you had a nice visit with your dad and grandpa. Even though they kept you up with their Tv watching. :)
Lindsay said…
Aww, such a cute picture Tara. :)

Good luck with the writing session.
I went on a trip last week so it was quiet for both of us. Sounds like you had a nice visit.

I'm familiar with TV blaring. My father finally got a hearing aid, but before he did, we'd blare movies!
Callie Forester said…
I totally hear you about the TV thing--you have my sympathy! My husband is a big TV watcher, but I don't think i'd care if I ever watched again. lol. I have a few shows I really like, but--all in all--there's usually about a billion other things I'd rather be doing.

Funny that you mentioned music in your post. You're the second one today--so, on that note, we're having another contest on our site that sounds right up your alley. :)

All you have to do is add a song lyric to the story. That's it. Just come to the site and click the blog link. First prize is a $25.00 I-Tunes card. Hope to see you over there!

Have fun with your visit and try not to be driven too crazy!
Jemi Fraser said…
Micki and her twins are totally gorgeous! :)

You'll enjoy those few days of silence before the kids are out of school - have fun with it!
Lola Sharp said…
Oh you have my sympathies too! That's hardcore torture.

But...

I'm glad your kids and you get to spend time with them...and it's sweet they come to visit. You are blessed. :)

Love,
Lola
Susan Fields said…
My brother-in-law likes to leave the TV on endlessly, like for background noise or something. It drives me nuts. But luckily, he's not hard of hearing so it's not overly loud. That's a great picture of Micki and her twins! :)
TL said…
Thanks guys. My ears have finally stopped ringing this morning ;)
Jon Paul said…
Enjoy your time with family. :)

BTW, there's a little something over at my place for you.
melissa said…
I really like your blog! I'm a new author and have enjoyed this new experience. I find that it's the most difficult and most rewarding. I'm also a graphic designer and love having that creative outlet as well.
Thanks for your post! I will be back for more updates. :-)

Melissa Nielsen
frommysomewhatseriousmind.blogspot.com
www.printhis.biz
Eric W. Trant said…
I always say: "Television turns your brains to a mush that is then deposited on your waistline."

I have a family room with french doors, though! I can lock my wife in there, close the doors, and neither of us disturbs the other.

Sitcoms and laugh tracks and even the televised news I can do without.

Televised news... ugh. "Coming up, we'll tell you how the new health plan could affect your salary, and undercover reporter Jim Stubonehead found ten things that could be killing you and your children, right in your own home.

But first, Marcy has a severe thunderstorm warning for most of North Texas, and Steve will tell you how the Rangers could go all the way. We'll be right back. Stay tuned." Shakes her papers and fades to mute not having told me a gyaddang thing!

Movies I like. No, I love movies. Visual literature, with surround sound.

- Eric