Musical Monday

I've decided to do something different with my blog. I am following a schedule. Sometimes*. (See side bar for disclaimer.)

My main goal with Musical Mondays is to just get the creative juices flowing. Lately I've felt like I'm trapped in one dimension - the one where I have to figure out what is going to make Kasia stronger, and give my beginning more oomph. And, frankly, I need something new once in a while, a little spice.

I've blogged often about how music impacts my writing. I hear a song and I write a story (well, usually just a scene) in my head. Or I read something and instantly a song, that fits it, leaps to mind. Just how my brain works. Well, I thought, why not combine things a little in the old blog.

So, on Mondays* (see side bar for disclaimer) I will turn on the mp3 and hit skip 5 times. Whatever comes up, will be my song of the day. I will open Word, write a quick scene, and post it. Expect a rough draft people. Some scenes will be rougher than others. Sometimes they will have to do with my WiPs or characters in the WiPs, sometimes not. Who knows? Not I. And, I will warn you, if you are sick of Incubus - you may want to stay away on Mondays - they hold 70 spots of 300 on the mp3. Odds are pretty good for my Brandon's incredible words.

Of course, today being my first go, my mp3 was not easy on me. This is one of my favorite "new" bands, and his voice is amazing. Here goes:

"I will not not bow, I will not break
I will shut the world away
I will not fall, I will not fade
I will take your breath away

And I'll survive, paranoid
I have lost the will to change
I am not proud, cold-blooded fake
I will shut the world away"

~Breaking Benjamin, I Will Not Bow

Over the Edge

Hunter slammed the door of the small bedroom behind him. What did they know, anyway? Chris maybe hadn’t been able to keep control on his shit, but he could. He didn’t need the pills. They were just recreation. Something to take the tension out of…of everything.

He flopped onto the uncomfortable hallway bunk. If they’d just leave him alone he’d be fine. He pulled the curtain closed and flicked off the dim overhead light. The relentless drudgery of touring kept him on edge is all. Nothing more.

Finally, he closed his eyes and, after a while, his arm slid to his side, body grew weightless, floating off to peace.

The recollection of those soft brown curls bouncing against his throat yanked him out of anything resembling peace. Hunter thrust his body upward, feet swinging over the edge and landing on the floor. He ran his hands, hard, over his face.

He never should have done it.

Even with eyes open, staring into a dark curtain, he still pictured her clearly. Dark shiny eyes had beckoned to him. And that barely there curve of a smile--she’d seduced him. This was her fault. The curtain nearly came off the track as he jerked it aside.

He ground his fists against his thighs then stood, making it to the kitchen area in three long strides. He reached up and pulled open the cabinet above the fridge, feeling around behind the extra tins of coffee.

Nothing. His heart raced.

He shoved aside a box of cereal and knocked over a bottle of olive oil. Not there either. Sweat wet his hairline and pins and needles danced on his arms.

Christ, focus.

He groped along the edge of the smooth wood, all the way to the back, and felt it. The stack of plastic cups. He let out the breath he’d been holding and lifted the cups. At the exact moment he realized there was nothing underneath them, the hairs on the back of his neck stood, and a cold chill ran down his damp skin.

Hunter turned, slowly, head down, and his gaze drifted up her long legs. He stopped at waist level, unable to take his eyes off her clenched fist. It didn’t matter. He knew her deep blue eyes watched him, unwavering. Her disappointment weighted the air around him, making it difficult to breath.

“Looking for something?”

He tried to look away, be nonchalant, but the bottle peeked out from between her fingers, teasing. He blinked hard.

“Give them to me.”

Comments

Excellent idea! I always use music to inspire my writing.
And I don't mind Incubus, either.
Stina said…
What a cool idea! Your first draft is way better than mine would be.
Lola Sharp said…
Well done! (And, naturally, I love Breaking Benjamin)

Love your new blog crib...it's happy.

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I 'borrowed' (okay, stole) your genius Upcoming Release idea from your sidebar. I want to pimp our friends too. :)
Tara said…
Lola - You like BB? How odd, never woulda thunk it ;-)
Steal away! I need to get around the blogoshpere and find friends I've missed.

Thanks, Stina.

Alex - Thanks. And it's probably a good thing you like Incubus, since you always come around :)
Private said…
What a great idea! I might have to steal this from you:)
Sarah Ahiers said…
omg i LOVE Incubus!
Also Breaking Benjamin is indeed awesome. I'm particularly fond of Their acoustic version of Diary of Jane. That is full of win
JE said…
Holey moley! This. Is Awesome. The idea. The story. Everything. You are brillant!

Do you finish these stories when you start them? My vote is for this one. ;-)

~JD
Tara said…
Thank you Sarah! Haven't listened to the acoustic of Diary, but love the linked version of this above (though it's not technically acoustic as stated, imo).
Tara said…
Hi Alexandra. Glad you like the idea, steal away!
Tara said…
Justine - I'm in love, lol. This piece will actually be molded into a scene for the 2nd of the series I'm working on now.

As for the other stories that come from songs, well, they either finish themselves, or they don't. Not sure how else to explain it ;)
Eric W. Trant said…
I'll write stuff in this random dreamstate with no beginning or end just the nowness of it.

I get things like your girl here, with the great legs, and that punch-gut writing that leaves me wanting more.


Love her legs, by the way.

- Eric
Anne Gallagher said…
I don't know how I missed this this morning.

That was fantastic! I loved that whole scene.

And I don't know who Incubus or Breaking Benjamin is but if they make you write like this, yeah, go for it.
Tara said…
Eric - Haha. Those legs belong to Kasia, my 5'11 MC. They in no way belong to Hunter who is the bassist in her husband's band, and her best friend ;)

Anne - Thanks, girl. Much appreciated :) If you care to find out who Breaking Benjamin is, their name (above) is a link to the song.
Tara said…
Hi Karen. Welcome :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Love the new look Tara! I've saved your snip to read when I get a chance - work is crazy busy. And oh yes, I couldn't write without music.
Looking forward to your Wednesday posts! :-)
Liza said…
I love this idea of using music for inspiration...and do wonder what was in the bottle she was holding. Thank you for stopping by Middle Passages.
Robert Guthrie said…
Awesome self jump starting! And thank you for following my blog.
Tara said…
Hi Robert, right back at ya.

Liza, my guess would be a bottle of downers since he couldn't sleep. Dunno for sure though. Welcome to my place :)
Tara said…
Deniz - Thanks. Er, I meant to say I'm doing Pt 1 - Jake's pov, not Hunter's. I think I'll do the hay poking the booty next week ;) But can't wait to hear what you think of the upgrades to the snip I sent.
Slamdunk said…
Very well done Tara. I like the idea and the execution of it.
Dawn Simon said…
Wow, you're good! And what a cool idea!
Bast said…
Music always inspires me as well. I get a lot of inspiration from music videos.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog.
Tara said…
Quinn- Thanks, I'll be over shortly :)

Dawn - I'm happy people seem to like the idea. Woot.

SD - Thank you, glad you like it.
roh morgon said…
wow - nicely done.

love the tension, the way he expresses his frustration.