Music Rocks My World



I won't blather on with details like I did last Monday. If you want to see what this is about, you can find them in this post.

One of my favorite bands - I write a lot of scenes to NIN. Trent Reznor is one talented man, and beyond amazing live. I have no idea how he manages to take words, phrases and insinuations that are raw and deep, and often pure animalistic (pun intended - see song link if you don't get it) sex, and molds them into absolute sensuality, but I'd sure love to. (Okay, this isn't one of his more sensual songs.)

My whole existence is flawed
You get me closer to God

Through every forest, above the trees
Within my stomach, scraped off my knees
I drink the honey inside your hive
You are the reason I stay alive

Nine Inch Nails - Closer NSFW/Kids

This one is an already written scene, and the above song was playing as I wrote it in my head. Originally I planned to use it as my example for my Description through Emotion and Action, but it got nixed.

Priorities

     The humid air in the bathroom fogged the floor-to-ceiling mirror. I used a hand towel to wipe a circle in the middle and leaned forward to apply mascara. The candles flickered and dimmed in the whoosh of air.
     “That dress is way too long.” My husband stood behind me, rubbing a towel over his hair; dark and wavy in its shower-wet state.
     Seven years and the rollercoaster still raced through my belly. I couldn’t look away. Beads of water plopped onto the cherry hardwoods beneath him.
     He stepped forward, close enough to warm my back and legs.
     “It’s not even halfway to my knees.” I widened my eyes and second-coated the upper lashes.
     “Too long.”
     The material tickled the backs of my thighs as his fingers slid the silk up and over the curve of my bottom. His soft fingertips drew out tiny bumps on my flesh. The silver dress shimmered in the light of the candles, glinting like hundreds of diamonds off the nickel makeup tray below. His body pushed against me.
     I closed my eyes and the candles lit a red glow behind my lids. My hips tapped a cadence--familiar, in tune, always--against the rounded edge of the counter.
     I opened my eyes and smiled into my own face, raking teeth across the slippery sheen on my lower lip. My toes dug into the shag throw rug and I wrapped the fingers of one hand around the high arch of the pewter faucet. The other hand slid down the mirror, leaving a black streak of mascara in its wake. I dropped the wand into the sink and reached behind to feel his hot stomach under my cool palm.
     His weight pressed my belly onto the marble vanity. I shivered, but not from cold. Our gazes locked through the mirror. Cinnamon and vanilla mingled in the air and the candle flames danced in his eyes, creating the golden-brown glow that illuminated my world.
     The framed photo of his acoustic honey-stained guitar played peek-a-boo over his shoulder, keeping perfect time to Nine Inch Nails on the stereo. He grinned--that unfocused goofy grin I knew so well--and his palm landed onto the mirror, squeaking as it barely moved; up and down. Up and down.
     I ran my hand up his side, out and along the bottom of his arm. My fingers twined into his and squeezed hard. He dropped his head to the back of mine, mouth brushing my neck, heart thumping against my back.
     He slipped the looped-metal strap of the dress down to my arm and bent to nip my shoulder, breath ragged against it.
     “Yep. Much better short.”

Comments

Christine Danek said…
You woke me up. Very well written. Thank you for sharing.
Trent Reznor is one of my favorites. He definately has a way with words.
I also use music to help me see. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one.
Have a great day!
And the moment you mentioned NIN, that song came to mind!
Lola Sharp said…
Loves me some Trent (love the new song with his wife...that vid freaks me out tho...he's the dead body on the floor. *shudder*) and the music he did for the Social Network (fb) movie...stunning. He's uber talented.

Love the scene. :)
Tara said…
Lola - I am loving the music he's been putting out the last few years. There was a span where his stuff just wasn't hitting me as deeply as it used to, but he's got me going again :)

Alex - The Only Time is the one that always leaps to my mind first - hence my blog title.

Christine - Glad to be of service. Thanks for the compliment. :)
Talei said…
Oh Tara, this is *phew* amazing. *fans face* Nicely written. I'm a huge fan of having music playing whilst I write if in the mood. I always find the song lyrics very inspiring.

Thank you for the follow, am glad I found your blog too. ;)
Tara said…
Talei - I can really only "write" in my head with music playing, then hope it translates when I get around to sitting and typing it out.

Thanks for stopping by :)
vic caswell said…
jiminey... yeah... ummm...
*blushes*
i think maybe i should go check out that song.
excellent writing. very ummm...sensual... yeah.
*blushes again*
really, the writing is tip-top!
excellent piece.
(how come everything i try to write here comes across as inuendo now?)
Old Kitty said…
Hi! First timer here on you fab blog! I just wanted to say hello! Thanks for this sensual treat - I'm not familiar with the song but this scene perked my Monday up no end! LOL! Take care
x
Tara said…
Valerie - Haha! At least I know you wouldn't ban me ;)

OK - Thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Still love this scene! It's such a perfect little snip. And oh yes, I can't write without music either :-) is it terrible if I say I like Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt better than the original?
Tara said…
Thanks, Deniz - for everything ;) And, you can like any song you want better, I'll allow it.
Hannah said…
I think people who write without music are weirdos. It's like eating oreos without milk. Not normal.

Super steamy scene. I like it. :D
Robert Guthrie said…
Wow. And a killer end.
Jon Paul said…
Wow! Masterful scene, and I thought it matched the song well. I can totally see how they're connected.

I find I tend to isolate certain songs for certain stories too--and I play them over and over again while writing. Sometimes this even helps me sort out problems with storyline/motivation. The music pushes it's own agenda which helps get the emotion on the page IMHO.

Nicely done!
TL said…
JP - Hey you! The music definitely helps bring out the emotion for me.

Robert - Aw. Thank you :)

Hannah - I don't really like Oreos all that much. How weird does that make me ;-D
roh morgon said…
Oh, yeah. You nailed 'Closer' with that scene. Very hot.

I'm a HUGE NIN fan (was lucky enough to see their final 2 shows in LA). In fact, it's the title of your blog that drew me months ago.

Most of the music in the soundtrack for my novel is NIN or NIN-remixes (also have a number of Incubus songs, too). In fact, I've found some awesome instrumentals on the Nine Inch Nails remix site. A lot of it is Trent's that he's uploaded - stuff you won't find on any CD.

Nice job on the scene - that is one steamy puppy!
Tara said…
Roh - Yes, there's some great "unreleased" stuff out there from Trent. Angel is one of my favorites.

Glad you enjoyed the scene.
Tara said…
Roh - I meant to add, I still find that so off the wall that we both incorporate NIN and Incubus as main musical influences in our writing! I know we've both found parallels with Black Heart Inertia and our characters.
Wild Rose said…
Lovely write and so nice to meet your acquaintance, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
Tara said…
Rose - Thank you for stopping by my place :)