Be Jolly By Golly Blogfest

First, a quick thank you to those who participated in my ringtone contest. The fabulous Roh Morgan won a full chapter critique (and I can't wait to get my eyes on her stuff - love her!). Sure, she cheated, but she still guessed the song title...eventually, hehe.

For those that didn't see in the comments, the ringtone is Down In It by Nine Inch Nails (the first 40 seconds).

Now, on to the Be Jolly By Golly Blogfest, hosted by Jen at Unedited and Melissa at Through the Looking Glass.

Christmas decorations, huh? Everyone keep in mind I should not be allowed to handle a camera...




One of my favorite holiday treats is probably what my grandmother called her Pumpkin Sauce. I make it (by demand) for the annual Christmas party with my group of close-knit friends, and use it to top gingerbread. But, I've tweaked it to suit my tastes.

3 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
1 tsp all spice (or to taste)
1/2 c canned pumpkin
2/3 c milk
1 small pack instant vanilla pudding
1 c cool whip

Mix first 5 ingredients together well. Fold in Cool Whip. Chow. Yum.





I don't drink alcohol/liquor much. Just beer. Only if I want to get drunk, cause, well, one does the trick. Oh, and it's only Killian's Red if I do drink.

However...

Last night (Saturday) was our Christmas party and Friend Tammy made my new favorite holiday drink. Hot. Buttered. Rum. I know, old hat to most of you assuredly. But, I've never had it before. She told me I could go virgin, but I even put a capful (yep, I went crazy folks) of spiced rum in it. Oh holy yum.

1 pound butter
1 pound brown sugar
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Blend in brown sugar and confectioners' sugar. Remove from heat, and whisk in the ice cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture into a plastic container, seal, and freeze.
In a coffee mug, measure 1 tablespoon Hot Buttered Rum Batter and 1 fluid ounce of rum, then fill cup with boiling water. Stir, and sprinkle top of drink with nutmeg. 

It's okay if you're a lush and add more than a capful. I'll pretend I didn't see it.



The kids did such a great job with the gingerbread house this year. In the end, Mom had more icing on her than the house, but she managed not to curse. Mom of the Year, that's me. Or not, maybe.



Possibly the most tiring photo session I have ever done with the "fam". And the hardest. Grumpy Gus, if you can't tell who that is, well, check you eyes.

*photo removed by Tara

Poor Micki. She's really old, and I wanted to make sure we got some Christmas photos with her since it will probably be her last. She saw the antlers/hat headband come out and instead of running like usual, she gave me a look that said, "Seriously? My last Christmas on earth and you're really gonna make me put those effing antlers on again." I called her. She stared. I called some more; she stared some more. Finally she remembered how stubborn I am. She waddled over to the little tree (pretty sad the poor thing knew that's where I'd want her!) and plopped down. I stuck the hat on and she flat out refused to move again. She laid there while I pushed all 60lbs of her into the position I wanted. Then she never moved a muscle. The Chihuahua's otoh? Holy Wiggle Worms (especially the 9 week old puppy). It took everything we had to get the kids and dogs looking at the camera, mostly in tact. But we managed a few. They're all crooked (more so than my usual) because I was reaching and moving as the dogs tried to break free. LOL.

When I saw how bad the pics came out I asked the kids if they were up for another round. They gave me the same look the Lab did when she saw her antlers...

Happy Holidays to All

Comments

Will Burke said…
Holiday pics can certainly be dramatic. Before going to the family's, I think of something really funny, and usually inappropriate, so IO can smile sincerely for the pics
Angela said…
You're a good decorator, and you have such very cute kids. :)
Summer Frey said…
I've never had buttered rum, but it sounds awesome!
Hahahaha, love the story of your Xmas photo!
Lola Sharp said…
Awww...poor Micki. But the picture turned out great. :)

The gingerbread house turned out gorgeous.

And...I loves me some hot buttered rum. Totes fattening, but SO good.

Merry Holidays!
Love,
Lola
DL Hammons said…
P'shaw! Those pictures look great!! And Buttered Rum....YOWZA!! :)
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Pumpkin sauce does sound yum! And it's always hard when you know it's the last holiday with your pet.
Old Kitty said…
Awww Micki!! Awwww!! I'm so sorry but I actually feel very sad reading about Micki! I do hope and pray that this won't be her last - she' adorable - look at her beautiful face!!! Please hang on in there Micki - I've only met you and I do hope you stick around for longer.

Otoh and your other pup are adorable. Your kids are beautiful and the tree is just sweet!!!

Thanks for sharing! CONGRATULATIONS to Roh Morgan for winning!! Yay! take care
x
Zan Marie said…
Tara, I'm grinning ear to ear. My two pups were nothing compared to that. Then we just put on their new sweaters and held them in front of the tree. Check my blog for those pics. ; ) Though I was snapping my fingers for all I was worth to get them to look forward.
Pumpkin sauce over gingerbread! My two favorite holiday flavors...printing out now!

Happy Holidays!
TL said…
That's not our actual tree, Kitty. It's one I bought years ago for the kids to decorate for their playroom. They wanted to put it in the family room for the dog picture ;)

The rela tree can be kinda seen in the 2nd photo. It goes int the bay window of the livving room - my favorite reading spot through the year.
TL said…
Wow, I was typing a little too fast above - or that capful of rum is still affecting me...
My favorite here is the picture of the children -- beautiful!
Glad you didn't do the Gingerbread house after the Rum. :o)

Merry Christmas!
Unknown said…
Thanks for posting this: the spiced rum sounds like a really warming treat. The pumpkin sauce sounds delicious too - I must see if I can whiz some up to impress everyone here.
Your family looks so lovely.Merry Christmas to you all.
Such pretty trees! And great recipes! Merry Christmas!!
LOL! Pictures and kids are bad enough, but pets too...! And I'm totes copying that Hot Butter Yum recipe! :)

Merry Christmas!
Lindsay said…
Your kids did do a great job on that Gingerbread house. It looks yummy.

Kids and pets in one photo... you are brave. I'm lucky if I can get the goddaughter to smile at the moment. lol.
Ann said…
The gingerbread house is fabulous and the little elves are gorgeous! Wishing you all a lovely Christmas.
I can't believe you got them all to sit, smile and look at the camera! That is impressive!
Denise Covey said…
Your camera skills are not too bad at all! You look all set for a great family Christmas. Ejoy!
Southpaw said…
I’ve never had pumpkin sauce it sounds delicious – and then you went on with the hot butter rum creations – sounds heavenly!
M Pax said…
Mmm. I buy pumpkin butter all the time. It's fab swirled in yogurt. On gingerbread? Wow. I love gingerbread, too. :) Will have to try your sauce.
Mmmm...I might have to be a lush with that hot buttered rum recipe! Ha ha. :-)
LTM said…
brilliant idea for how to handle those Christmas cards! I've been trying to come up with something... mmm hot buttered rum and pumpkin sauce... delish!

Poor Micki. ;p

Merry Christmas!
Carol Riggs said…
Oh my, the pumpkin sauce sounds yummy-ishus! Sweet photo of all the "kids" in hats, human and woofie alike. Merry Christmas!
Meredith said…
Such a cute family pic! And I have to try buttered rum now :)
Grandpa said…
Nice decor, pretty girls, and pups.

I think you should take more photos!

Happy Holidays!
Abby Minard said…
Well, the pic looks like they were sitting perfectly the whole time- so cute! Your older dog looks like ours...except he's 90 lbs and 3 yrs old. That pumpkin frosting sounds yummy. Have a wonderful Christmas!
Glad you got the holiday pics. That pumpkin recipe sounds delicious. Thanks! =D
Renae said…
What gorgeous decorations. And that hot buttered rum sounds wonderful!
That pumpkin sauce sounds amazing. Yum

Wishing you a very merry Christmas,
Lyn
W.I.P. It: A Writer's Journey
Jemi Fraser said…
Love the pics! I still shudder thinking of family photos! :)
Donea Lee said…
I think you got a wonderful picture! Sweet little lab :) (the kids and the other dogs are sweet, too - of course!) And I've never had hot buttered rum, but it sounds kind of fabulous! Might have to try me some... Merry Christmas to you!
Talli Roland said…
Buttered rum, yum yum yum yum!

Happy Christmas!
Nicole Zoltack said…
Aw, the picture with the kids looks great! And I haven't had hot buttered rum. And I love rum. I'll definitely have to try it. :) Merry Christmas!
Stephanie said…
I have never had Hot Buttered Rum either, but it sounds fantastic!!!!
Jennie Bailey said…
GREAT picture of the kids and the dogs. I'm so impressed you managed to snap one this good. :-) That Hot Buttered Rum sounds delicious and I think I may have to serve some up! Have a Merry Christmas! I hope this last one with Micki is marvelous (although they have a way of surprising us and lasting a few years past what we think sometimes!).
roh morgon said…
Thanks so much for hosting the ringtone contest - it was such a great idea!

And thanks for awarding me the crit, even if I did cheat just a little. But I'd hoped what I lacked in morals could be made up for with my brilliant [cough, choke :) ] word crafting.

Send me your email addr: roh.morgon [at] gmail.com

Your pumpkin sauce sounds awesome - gotta try that. I'm a freak for pumpkin - as far as I'm concerned, there's only one kind of pie - pumpkin!

Cute kids - you guys enjoy your holidays!

And thanks again...
TL said…
Roh - You know I loved your word crafting :D Pumpkin is my fave, too. I emailed you Sunday, and again just now. Please let me know if you don't get it! My email is tlwatson24 at gmail dot com
Mary Mary said…
Merry Christmas to you as well!
Anonymous said…
Pumpkin sauce over gingerbread sounds yummy! Another recipe I'll have to try! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Deniz Bevan said…
Gorgeous photo Tara! And oh my that hot rum does sound yummy...
Kimberly said…
The pictures are great! The Pumpkin Sauce sounds really delicious.

Merry Christmas!
alexia said…
The Pumpkin Sauce and the buttered rum drink sound amazing! I might be the lush who puts in more than a cap... ;)
Jolene Perry said…
If I had attempted a Christmas photo with my two kids and two pets, at least one would be blurry in each and every one.
Susan Fields said…
I took some photos of the dog for my Christmas blog post, and it was so hard! I couldn't get her to stop eating the darn Santa hat.

Your photo turned out wonderful!
Unknown said…
That photo is SO CUTE with your kids in their hats and the little dogs in theirs! Used to put a hat on my jack russel when she was still around... and a bit of tinsel around her neck... it probably itched!
Unknown said…
Hot buttered rum sounds interesting. I'll have to try it sometime. FWIW, you took great pictures. Beautiful family. Have Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.
Brenda Drake said…
Your kids and dogs are so adorable!I'm impressed you even attempted a gingerbread house. That pumpkin dessert sounds good and easy (both words I like)! Thanks for sharing and happy holidays! :D
Melissa said…
Your kids look like absolute sweethearts! And I adore pumpkin!

My cat destroyed my gingerbread house this year, I was so upset!

Thank you so much for participating in our blog fest!

Merry Christmas!
N. R. Williams said…
Yummy recipes and lovely pic's, I think you did just fine.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author
Michael Di Gesu said…
Love the pic of the kids and pups.... That's what the holidays are all about!

Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Michael
Unknown said…
I think the picture came out good. How nice to get everyone together for it.
I thought your pictures were great! The gingerbread house turned out super!!! and the sauce sounds divine...
Vicki Rocho said…
So THAT's hot buttered rum. OMG, I'd be getting completely sloshed. I've totally got to make me some the next time we have company over!
Julie Dao said…
I loved your pictures! And thanks so much for sharing the recipes. I'm gonna have to try these out! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and Happy New Year to you!
Kym McNabney said…
What a great picture! We had quite the time trying to get our three girls and three dogs to all look the same way and smile.
Chris Phillips said…
I hope your holiday went well. Happy New Years!