I Can't Drive 55

Okay, not a huge fan of that song, but I have a race-y sort of post today.

It was inspired by a long-time, and very dear, friend. I grew up at the race track watching my mother and step-father race. Step-dad was not only an unbelievably good driver, but a professional race instructor as well.

Anyway, when Kevin [friend] was in his late teens (and I was about 12), step-dad took him on as an all around protege. Kevin far surpassed all expectations - he's an amazing driver still, some nearly 25 years later.

He posted this video to Facebook last night, and it made me smile. It also made me remember that I really did love my first WiP (prompted entirely by my having grown up at the track). So I pulled the WiP out and read - for over an hour. After the vid, I'll post a short snip.



Driven

The crosswalk vibrated as the car flew underneath us. My fingers tightened around the railing, knuckles white, as I inhaled the sharp high-octane fumes. I closed my eyes, listening for the sound I knew would come in three, two…that shallow whistle of the turbo kicking on his acceleration in the back straight.

Finally, I exhaled.

My pulse quickened against my throat, and I opened my eyes to watch him take the hairpin, so snugly he must barely have moved the wheel. The grip my fingers held around the aluminum loosened, my hand automatically moving down against the cold metal just as he would be shifting to take that perfect line through the chicane.

I wanted so badly to be sitting beside him in that beautiful car, feeling every shift and hearing every roar as he redlined the tach.

Nobody had a chance against him on his home turf. Jess could win this one blindfolded.

Comments

Old Kitty said…
I can't play the clip as I'm at work but I really enjoyed reading your piece - sexual tension and racing!! Lovely! Take care
x
Linda G. said…
Nice clip and nice snippet! I'm not all that into racing, but this looks fun. :)
TL said…
Kitty - If you're not into racing, you'll find it rather boring anyway ;)
TL said…
Thanks, Linda.

It can be a lot of fun. When I watch Kevin's clips I always miss it. But, then I remember the 24 hour enduro in Daytona Beach - every year, same thing: 40 degrees and raining. Miserable!
Lovely excerpt of your story. The clip was also interesting.

All the best,
Suzanne :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Great snip Tara! But don't get distracted... I want to see the published version of Kasia and Jake!
TL said…
Thanks for stopping by, Suzanne :)

You and me both, Deniz! I won't get back to Driven until Roulette is finished! Just need my CP's to go back through it, and some beta readers.
roh morgon said…
Hey, Tara!

Another thing we have in common...

CARS!

I love to drive, and no, I can't drive 55, either. My 3.8 Genesis Coupe just can't go that slow.

One of the characters in Watcher has a 'stable.' Tho he's a Euro-snob, he does have a Cobra nestled between the Lambo and the Ferrari. And the Audi R8? My dream car...

Loved the excerpt, btw - I could smell the rubber and feel the wind as the car ripped past. Nice writing.
TL said…
Roh - R8? Ha. Hubby and Kevin, from the video, were on the Audi factory race team together! Too funny. They won the championship 5 out of 6 years :)

Cobra...*drool*

MC from above story drives a Viper; boyfriend usually drives his Mustang Cobra & a Porsche GT2 EVO, but has landed a ride in a Porsche Prototype in this snip.
Deniz Bevan said…
OOH! Did you say betas?
Hello! *waves*
Do you need a copy editor?
Jai Joshi said…
All that energy and power! It's easy to see how you feel in love...

Jai
Tara said…
Deniz - lol, I'll email you...

Jai - I heart cars.
Jon Paul said…
Tara--Awesome vid and snippet from the novel. Like so much of your stuff, it felt raw and vivid.

Looking forward to sinking my teeth into Roulette. :D
Shelley Sly said…
I really like the excerpt from your story -- the main character seems easy to relate to. :) Thanks for sharing!
Jennifer Shirk said…
I drive like a grandma so that clip had me getting tense. LOL

Enjoyed your excerpt!
So cool! Loved what you wrote. Almost like being there. :)
Tara said…
Thanks, JP. I'm about ready to ship Roulette out...
Tara said…
Thank you, Shelley.

Jennifer - LOL! I haven't driven on the track like that, but I've ridden out there. It's less scary than the road. Everyone actually knows what they're doing ;)

Kathi - That's a huge compliment, thanks.
Talli Roland said…
Cars and sexual tension - it's all good. Really enjoyed it!