Name That Tune, Win a Crit & Something Free



It's Music Monday here and I thought I'd do something different. First up: Something Free. Plenty of you have probably heard of it, but I just wanted to share my favorite ringtone site, Mobile17. They do not spam - ever. Other than the confirmation link email, I've never gotten anything from them - in 2 years. If you are willing to wait about 30 minutes per song, you can download as many free ringtones as you want. You take the song straight from your computer and they upload it and send it to your phone. I can't see needing a ringtone to be so important that someone couldn't wait. Especially someone cheap like me. I could have 50 million in the bank and I would still track down the best deals and cut coupons. Apparently one of my parents instilled in me the importance of being frugal. Could not possibly have been Shopaholic Mom. Maybe dad.

"Shut the door. I don't want to pay to air condition the entire block."

"Figure out what you want before you open the fridge."

Sheesh.

So, onto Name that Tune/Win a Crit. I got a new phone on Friday(hence my renewed love with Mobile 17) and downloaded 10 ringtones. The first of my followers (current or brand new) to guess the band or song of the current ringtone I have set on this Friday's (12/17/10) post will win a 5 page (1250 word) crit. Once the band or song is guessed, I will do the first 250 words of your MS for the remaining unguessed entity. If by some amazing guess, the first person gets the band and song, I will do an entire chapter.

Bonuses:
Blog about this = 2 extra pages
Sidebar link = 2 extra pages

Be sure to comment in this thread if do either of those things.

Hint:
I blog often about music, so I'm sure plenty of you will have quick guesses. Or you can skim old posts and find tons of bands I listen to. I even did a blogfest listing of my all time favorite albums a while ago. If it proves too hard come Friday, I'll edit in a list of bands on Friday's post.

Sorry CP's you're out on this one. You get me for free. Anytime. Anyplace. (er, JP - I was trying to avoid being the first again, but I'll toss it into the ring tomorrow for you. It'll be easy, and quick, and not very red at all. Coz it's so full of awesome!)

I hope everyone will play. It should be fun. I'm a fast critter, and a thorough one. Hopefully not too scary! I learned from the Compuserve site (sidebar linkage) that critting others is the best way to hone ones craft. I've been doing it on the forum for over 2 years, and I really enjoy it.

Comments

I'd probably do well with name that tune.
For now I'll just make you laugh by admitting I don't even own a cell phone.
Stina said…
What a cool idea. I don't have anything to crit right now, but I can't wait to see if I can guess it. Probably not!
Summer Frey said…
*muffled cough of band name*

*whistles*

So how does this site work? I'm off to check it out. I need a Christmas ringtone. Anything's better than the stupid harpsichord that came with MY new phone.
Linda G. said…
Fun, but I totally fail at guessing musical things, and I don't have anything that needs a crit right now, so I'll leave the contest to others. I just wanted to tell you I heard the exact same thing about the air conditioning and the refrigerator when I was growing up. Too funny. :)
Old Kitty said…
What a fun thing to do!! Good luck to everyone!! Me - I don't have a mobile phone and haven't a clue about ringtones so I'll just cheer everyone on by the side!! yay! Take care
x
Lola Sharp said…
I know I'm disqualified...but I KNOW I can guess the band..the song might take me a few guesses, though.

And, people, Tara gives good critique.
TL said…
Alex - no cell? Wow. I almost never use mine, but I have one.

Stina - You could always guess, and if you win just send me something whenever you do have it. No time limit.
TL said…
Summer - You and L think you're sooo smart. We shall see ;-) Did you figure out the site? You have to upload a song that is on your computer.

Linda - it's not too hard, especially since you read my blog often. Like I said to Stina - there's no time limit on sending me something to crit if you want to try.

Kitty - Another with no phone? That's 2 of 6 so far. I'm a little shocked at those odds, I must say.

We shall see, Lola. We shall see.
Hannah said…
hmmm, I will check it out. I don't know if I'll be able to figure it out. I'm great with singing any song but I can rarely remember band names.
Jai Joshi said…
I'm terrible at games like this. Even if I know someone's musical tastes my mind just goes blank and I can't think of a single band except maybe one that will keep going around and around my head.

Thanks for the link to this free ringtone site though. Great stuff.

Jai
Iris B said…
Hi .... just wanted to say thanks for dropping by on my website .... as for this comp .... GREAT .... I love anything "music" .... Friday ? ... will that be Sat here? LOL ... I'd better get this international clock out again :-)

Anyway ... good luck to everyone and I'd better get back to your site to check the actual prize amongst all these other interesting posts.
DL Hammons said…
*Snaps fingers* Crap!
Tara said…
Iris - Austalia, right? My Friday morning (when I post) will be your Friday evening. You are about 12 hours ahead of me, depending on where you are.
Tara said…
Hannah, scan through a few of my posts. I'm always talking about bands/music I love.

Jai - If it proves too hard, I'll edit in a list of bands from my MP3 player.
Lisa Gail Green said…
Thanks for the tip about the site. If I ever get my phone that I really really want, I'll use it!
M Pax said…
Most of the time I don't even know where my phone is and I don't know how to answer it if it's open. Yes, I am cell phone challenged. Is there a foundation for that? :)
Tara said…
You're welcome, Lisa.

M Pax, if you hear of one, let me know. Im not too far ahead of you in that area ;)
Angela said…
What a great idea!
roh morgon said…
Hey Tara,

Thanks for stopping by my site.

As for the band name, I can think of only one, MAYBE two possibilities.

But given my confidence, I'll start working on figuring out the song...

I'd love to have a crit from you!
TL said…
Thanks for stopping by, Angela.

Roh - I'm guessing I know your guess, hehe. We'll seeeee...
Grandpa said…
Hi, thanks for stopping by at The Farm.

I'm out of the ring tone thingy now, but hey, you are not cheap but just being prudent (your dad's genes helping you there - my children had the same combination of mom and dad, if you know what I mean).
I used to tell them not to open the fridge too long otherwise we'll get penguins, and of course that air-con thing to
Susan Fields said…
What a fun contest! And enjoy your new phone!!!
Iris B said…
Thanks, Tara, for letting me know ... so Friday evening it is ... :-)
Tara said…
Iris - You're welcome. I will set my post for USA EST 7:00 AM, if that helps.

Susan - Just a phone, I don't do fancy, or internet stuff. When they ask me what I want to upgrade to I respond: Something that dials.

Hi Grandpa, thanks for stopping by. I use all of those myself these days. Especially these freezing days of late, as the kids hold the door open for too long.
Amie Kaufman said…
That'll teach me to read properly -- I was about to post my guesses when I suddenly realised that's meant to happen on Friday. Fun contest! I'm down under, so I'll be back after work to see if somebody beat me to the punch.
TL said…
Good luck, Amie :)