Cars Get My Engine Going

I've added a new page to my blog, and created a FB page for Author Me. I had to do something to keep my private page separate - and pared down - from the writer side. If you'd like to join me, just click on the badge.

In my last post, a few people inquired about my racing background. I thought I'd share a little. My stepfather raced, and instructed professionally. I was offered cars to try my hand at racing. But, really, who wants to hop into someone else's Porsche and drive it around a race track at 130+ mph for the first time? That would take far more balls than the actual racing. I did get in some and drive fast. 130? Nevah.

I pretty much grew up at the track. Didn't like it so much as a young girl, but definitely got into the advantages of, er, the guys in those firesuits when I hit my teens. Not surprising my first WiP is a romance at the race track. Yeah, hot.

So are the cars. I heart cars. I love the throaty guttural noise of the engines hitting the redline and the high-pitched whistle of the turbos kicking in on accel. Whoo. It's getting hot over here. Maybe I should move on to the pictures.

My stepfather's major competition was my favorite car.



I called it the Jellybean Car; the race-car boys didn't appreciate the nickname so much. Oddly, they didn't seem to mind my blonde ponytail and can't-freaking-breathe jeans, though. Last I heard, the car sold for about 350,000 bucks.

Who knew I'd marry a guy that would go on to join the very team that owned my teenage fantasy car? The team added Audi's to their race line up and built these bad boys - Audi S4's - that went on to crush the competiton for 5 straight years.



Everyone loves a good crash, right? Poor Derek. One of the all-time best racers. More than that, though, one of the nicest guys I've ever known. Our son happens to be [sort of] named after one of his. That crash cost the team an entire week of working from 8 AM until 3-4 AM the next morning because they had to have the cars ready for the following weekend. This schedule happened more often than not during the 9-month season. Sometimes due to crashes, others mechanical failure or redesigns. Egads. Now you can see why hubby retired from that gig to spend more time with the fam ;-)

Here's the beginning of the above race as seen from another car. To the right front you can see the silver Audi. It's the 2nd car (the one that crashed eventually), the other was in pole. Can't remember the outcome, but those cars were rockets. And, while other racers hated the rain, those guys prayed for it. Those all-wheel drive quattros held to the road like there was gorilla snot on the tire. What, not everyone in the world knows what gorilla snot is?

I miss it when I think about it - racing, not glue -, but I'm betting a few long days spent listening to screaming cars in sweltering heat would quickly remind me why I avoided it more often than not as I got older. I think I'll stick with finishing up my first WiP to relive the old race glory days.

Comments

Angela said…
I have an uncle who used to race motorcyles for Kawasaki. I guess it's not exactly the same. I went to one of his races once. It was fun.
That's wild you spent most of your life around racing. And they didn't mind the tight jeans? Can't imagine why...
LTM said…
How fun! I lurv cars, I have to admit. I write for the paper, and my dream job would be to do the auto reviews... vroom VROOM!!! :D lol~ <3
Alleged Author said…
I've never been that much into cars. However, I always wanted a vintage Mustang with green metallic paint. Dunno why. :P Cool that you love them so much because you know so much about them!
Linda G. said…
Can't say I'm much of a car -- or, for that matter, speed -- person. But, boy, my son-in-law would sure be impressed with you! :)
Elena Solodow said…
The idea for WIP sounds really intriguing!
Angelina Rain said…
That’s so cool that you grew up around racing and cars. I wish I had such a fun life but my parents sheltered me. They were so scared that I would break a bone, they didn’t let me do ANYTHING.
Melissa said…
This post was fascinating! Thank you for sharing!
Jai Joshi said…
It's so interesting to learn more about your racing background. I've never experienced anything like that so I love to find out more!

I do think Audi cars are great though.

Jai
Old Kitty said…
How interesting!!!! You lived breathed and know all about race tracks and these really fast cars!! Whoa!!! Thanks for sharing - absolutely fascinating!!! What else may I say but - Wow!!!:-)

Take care
x
M Pax said…
friended you on fb.

Fascinating background. I dated a race car driver once - stock cars. He was always fixing his car, but it was fun to go to a couple of races. Nothing big. They were local.

Cars can be pretty.
WritingNut said…
Wow.. that's very cool! My dad loves anything to do with racing.
DL Hammons said…
Sweet car!! I've always wanted to take one of those high performance cars for a spin on an open track. The closest I come now is the race track at Disneyworld. :))
Jemi Fraser said…
Nice car! I'm not a huge racing fan, but the rest of my family loves it!
Deniz Bevan said…
Wow, Tara. If we needed yet another example of how books can influence your life... I have to say, it's basically thanks to you and and Janet Evanovich's Motor Mouth series that I suddenly actually care about racing. I even got all excited one time when we were staying at the Holiday Inn in downtown Nashville and I saw they were NASCAR sponsors. You know, NASCAR guy [g]
Otherwise, I know next to nothing about this stuff...
Christine said…
Thanks for visiting my blog today, Tara. And for becoming a follower. I'm a follower here now, too. Love your blog, by the way.
Denise Covey said…
This is so interesting. I come from a car family and my brothers race saloon cars. I have a 'lead foot' as they say. It's in your blood, eh?

Thank you for coming by my blog and commenting on my Stylish post. Come back and check out my latest Publication Party post with author Clarissa Draper, win prizes.

Denise :)
Linda Kage said…
I would love to go to a true care race someday. And how sweet that you married a race car driver. Awww.
What a great background you have to draw on. :)
Carol Kilgore said…
I've been to a few races. The noise and smells combine to give me a headache, though, so I mostly avoid them now.

Glad to find your blog :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Just gave you an award :-)
Zan Marie said…
Hey, Tara! I've given you an award. Check out my blog. ; )
roh morgon said…
Cars get my engine going, too.

My fav car right now? The one I'm lusting after?

A silver Audi R8. The male MC in Watcher has one he bought just to drive up Pikes Peak. It's only one of the cars in his 'stable', that also includes a Ferrari, a Lambo, and a 427 Cobra.

Yeah. Love cars. Love to drive. Between working 8-9 hrs a day, and writing nights and weekends, I still manage to rack up about 30,000 miles per year.

Can't wait to read your story.