Query and Award

Hey, I think I finally have this query thing nailed...

A mother on the brink. Childrens' lives at stake.

With the Christmas decorations only mostly put away and dishes breeding in the sink, a decision must be made: lock the children in the playroom where they can play brain-melting video games until their hearts are content, or they kill each other - which is a high possiblity, or dig deeper than ever before to be an entertainer, for the fifth straight day - so soon after a two-week vacation. So. Damn. Soon.


Her sanity hanging by only a thread, she must find an answer to her question: Will they ever go back to school?

Not bad, eh? Too bad it's in jest. I thought I'd had my query all tightened down and ready to go, but I decided to change something up. Now I've sent myself back to Query Hell.

I have received the Stylish Blogger Award from Cheree Smith, Tony Benson and Shari. Wow. Thanks so much, you guys!




The rules:
Link back to the person who gave it to you.
Give 7 facts about yourself.
Award 15 great bloggers you've recently discovered.
Contact them and tell them about the award.

7 facts about me. They don't have to be interesting, I hope.
1. When I was a kid I begged for a pet seal. Pretty sure I wanted to name him Sammy.
2. Gilmore Girls will always hold a place in my cold little heart.
3. I don't have a favorite color. But there are a few I don't like as much as others.
4. Aging has never bothered me before.But now that 40 is closing in, I'm freaking out.
5. Hubby is, by leaps and bounds, the romantic in our relationaship; odd that I write romance. Maybe that's why the suspense part comes in too...
6. I regret turning down the opportunities I was given to get into racing.
7. Though I dreamt of being a singer, I think I'd have made a good actress.

Cool new blog discoveries I've recently made:
Visiting Reality
The Wocka Spot for Writers
Linda Kage
Ten Lives Second Chances
The Rainy Day Wanderer
Melissa Getting Published
M Pax
An Alleged Author
Angelina Rain
Through the Looking Glass
Mithril Wisdom

Okay, it hit 1AM when I was still trying to link all those and I never made it to my 15. I have 5 left and will edit them in now. Sorry for the delay Final Five - I don't think you're any less cool than the above. My eyes just quit working ;)

Elena Solodow
My Poetry Place
Christopher
Danette Baltzer
Leigh T. Moore

A note to all award recipients: I know how precious time is. I am not offended in any way if you choose to skip this and just throw the picture up on the sidebar. Or nothing at all. Promise.

Comments

Stina said…
I've been procrastinating on going to query hell. I'm going to do it any day now. I'm just waiting for the final okay on my query. Sure hope it takes awhile to get that feedback. :D

Fortunately, I'm loving my new wip, so it will be easy to shrug away the rejections. I've already moved on.
DL Hammons said…
That's interesting...what kind of racing. Stock Cars, Dragsters, Motorcycles, BMX? A girl who likes speed!! :)
Angela said…
Good list. You write romance but your husband is the romantic one. That's nice for, at least, right?
Zan Marie said…
Tara, LOVE the query! I'd read it. As a retired teacher, I still relish snow days as days off. LOL!
Alleged Author said…
What a gripping query this is--great job!

Thank you so much for the award. I think you have a cool blog, too! :)
Tara said…
Hehe - thanks all!

DL - Road racing: Porsche's. They keep changing the name every few years, but IMSA, SCCA...whatever they call it this year.
Linda G. said…
Whew! Glad that query wasn't real--it was giving me flashbacks to winters when my kids were little. ;)

Thanks for the blog award! I love your list. :)
Tara said…
Zan Marie - I'm going to have to show you how to make your name link to your blog so I don't have to hunt you down in the forums and click on it there ;)
Linda Kage said…
Oh, thank you so much for the award. I'm honored. I think I'll name it Sammy too!

Love you query. Made me want to read more about that poor frazzled mother!
Zan Marie said…
LOL! I know how. Unfortunately, my blog is on my bellsouth email and I commented on my gmail email. If I could get them to link up, I'd cheer. Let me know if you have any clue how to do that. I *think* this will be the blog link this time. ; )
WritingNut said…
Congrats on your award! I've started the first draft of my query and I'm beginning to understand the meaning of Query Hell.

Good luck with your changes!
Tara said…
Zan Marie - Ooohh. I get it now, you're email-swapping lazy. Just. like. me. Yeah, that one linked me.
Colene Murphy said…
Awesome! Congrats on your award!!
Melissa Gill said…
That query was high-larious. Congrats on your award, and thanks for nominating me. I'll have to get on those seven thing, hmmm.

Oh, and I want to know about this racing thing. Do tell!
Old Kitty said…
"Will they ever go back to school?" I love that!!!!!! Yay for you!!!

And please don't fret about being 40!! I'm having the best time of my life - the best!! More so than when I was 20!!!! :-)

CONGRATULATIONS with your award and thank you so much for mentioning my silly blog!!!!! Take care
x
M Pax said…
Oh query hell is ... what you said. Good luck at finishing up. It's tough work. Wishing you all success when you get them out.

Thanks for the award, Tara.
Angelina Rain said…
Congratulations on your award, Tara!

Also, thanks for awarding me. I will post it up tomorrow morning.
Shari said…
I was so disappointed that your query was in jest. I had hoped to read the actual book. ;)Would it have been a comedy or tragedy? Hmm . . .
Elena Solodow said…
Thanks for the award, Tara! Love the query. When can I see this book on the shelf? ; )
Christopher said…
I've never been able to pick out a favorite color either. People find it so strange when I tell them I don't have one.

Thanks for the award!
LTM said…
Tara! You are too sweet, and what a cool award. Thank you very much~ :o) <3
Laurel Garver said…
Your fake query was great! Sounds like you have the hang of the cadence and the lingo. :-)

Gilmore Girls! Wah! I'm so, so sad it's off the air. There's no other new show I like nearly as well.
Lola Sharp said…
Well, you already know my feelings on GG. Best Show EVER.
I also still miss Firefly.

Yeah. You know I am now 40 and I'm not gonna lie. It blows.
Congratulations!
And I don't know if that's query hell, but it definitely sounds like hell to me.
Awww, thank you so much for the award! I loved your non-query, very clever. And terribly true....
Melissa said…
Thank you so much for the award!!

Your facts are so cool but I have questions! What were you going to race? What colors do you like less?

liked the query!
Jamie Fuchs said…
Your query sounds good. It creates anticipation and makes one want to read. Thanks for the award!
Jai Joshi said…
I like to think of querying as purgatory, because there's supposed to be a way out but I haven't yet found it.

Congrats on the awards!

Jai
The Happy Whisk said…
Congrats on the award and thanks for stopping by my place. I'm having a look about now and joining yours as well. Blogging is fun. Never know who I'll meet. Great to meet you. And Happy Eating.
Hi, very interesting post.
Im the newest follower to your blog, and i hope to see you on my page too... Good Luck
http://smartandfunnyvideo.blogspot.com/
Hi, stopping by to say thanks for following my blog, I appreciate it :]
Racing Porshes?? Sounds pretty cool, my dad would be jealous, that's his dream car!
e said…
I really enjoyed your query! Can't wait to see more and congrats!
~M
Jamie Gibbs said…
Thank you for the award! I linked back to you on my blog :D I've been called many things, but stylish isn't one of them, so thanks :D:D
Christian James said…
congrats on your awards. Interesting facts too
Deniz Bevan said…
Awww, I like this query! Too bad for you, though, I'm waaay more interested in Jake and Kasia [bg]
Fun query...I guess it could turn into a chick lit book. LOL. My goals for 2011 are to query more...I didn't do too much of it in 2010.

Congratulations on all the awards. I love your header!!!!
jared's mum said…
congratulations on your award!i am totally loving your blog and just that old photo of brandon boyd with the rest of the guys won my heart over..am your newest followe:)
Plamena Schmidt said…
That would make a great query : P

Good luck with your real one!
Unknown said…
He, he, he.. Like the query :-)