Incubus

If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you're probably well aware that I went to the Incubus concert on Friday. It was hard to stop talking about the show after I got home - until 2 in the morning. And the next day. I apologize of this runs on. I can't say enough about them. And while I tend to make suggestive statements about a certain lead singer *cough*, well what the band encompasses is far beyond outer beauty. They work as such a cohesive unit in writing and performing. It's astounding on multiple levels. I am all about words, so music has always been about the lyrics for me. Not with Incubus; it's about them as a whole - though, admittedly, Brandon Boyd's lyrics most certainly lead the way.


An aside on the lyric situation. Another old(ish) tune they played was Anna Molly. Not one I thoroughly loved when it came out, but it grew on me. Love it now; fantastic lyrics...but! (I'm pretty sure) part of the lyrics go something like: Or something better/I could care less. The completely anal writer in me always wants to yell: couldN'T care less. You could NOT care less. But I digress. I'm learning to let the little things go, or at least trying.

Fly away Little Things. Fly away and be free.

I went with my best friend of 22 years. Yeah, 22! Since we were young teens. Which we no longer are. And I have the aching neck, lower back and toes to prove that. But, how could I not do a little head-banging to the biggest surprise of the night - A Certain Shade of Green came out in '97, but it holds up so well today, like pretty much all of their stuff. The guys are close in age to me so I'm not sure how they do it night after night on the road, especially after such a long break between records and tours.

Bestie thought I'd lost my mind for getting pit tickets - and honestly, I wavered about my sanity for making that call. But I am so glad I did. So. glad. (There were as many people our age on the floor as 20-somethings!) We arrived early and were right up against the stage. Le sigh.

I've been to many, many concerts, and I've watched a lot of live Incubus shows on youtube, but it was just beyond what I expected. I was _blown_ away. They played a range of songs spanning 14 years. (They didn't play any from their first album (95) - or either of the 2 new ones on '09's greatest hits album.) On the way there we listened to them (duh!) and there were 3 songs I told her I'd be thrilled if any one was played - they played 2 of them: The Warmth (language) - just beyond a beautiful song and Consequence. Huge bonus was another of my old favorites - acoustic! - Talk Shows on Mute Here's the photo of it:


The latest album, If Not Now, When? (title track - gorgeous) shows amazing maturity in so many ways, while being so basic in many as well. It's gotten flack from many. This is not the hardcore stuff they did as teens and early 20-somethings, but they aren't 20-something anymore. They are adults, with families and/or serious relationships and steady lives. So am I. I think this may be why I've stuck with them when I've not been able to do so with almost every other band/artist I loved through the years. I've grown and changed with these guys, and have enjoyed every step of the way, and each album as much as the last, for its differences, not in spite of them. No doubt, the Morning View album will always hold a huge spot in my heart (hello - my finished novel, ROULETTE, was highly inspired by Echo), but this album has rocked my world, albeit more softly than some of their previous stuff. ;-)

I'm wrapping up soon, Promises, Promises. That was sneaky, eh? And here's Mike Einziger (on far side of stage from me) playing the piano for it:


And Ben Kenney during Switchblade - my son's favorite off the new album; he begged me to wear a black hat, lol! (Daughter likes it a lot, but In the Company of Wolves is her fave.) I'm torn. One is sex, and one is sexy (trust me - make sure you get to 4:15 on Wolves...whew, it's hot in there.


I wanted better pics of Chris Kilmore and Jose Pasillas, but they hide behind all their equipment, and Jose was facing away from me. Boo.


They did 7 songs from the new one, out of 21 total. The last of the night was one of my favorites. Well, I say that, but just like with all Incubus songs/albums, as soon as I hear the next one I say, oh wait, no, this one is my favorite. I honestly can't choose. Not my video - my sound quality is poor since I was so close, but this guy captured it nicely: Tomorrow's Food ~ The older we all get, the better we all were. No, really. This is live. Live. Listen to that voice; listen to that tight music. Live. The night was just beyond.

I'll leave you with what are [for now] my favorite lines on If Not Now, When? There's an absence today of Defiance. Our most awakened inclination. This so resonates with me. I couldn't agree more (see how I tied that in there *snort*). And, it also brings another of my favorite old(ish) lyrics full circle: You had the perfect opportunity/But plead the fifth and walked away. Make a Move (hands over eyes are the engines of demise).

Okay, blog will resume to writing and love and life with my next post! And I will get to all the lovely awards I've been given by my awesome friends and fellow writers. Thanks for sticking with me, guys. Love you.

Comments

Old Kitty said…
I have never heard of Incubus but am so so glad you and your bestest friend had a most AWESOME time!!! Yay!!

Take care
x
Slamdunk said…
Glad you all had so much fun.

Twenty-two years? What a great friendship.
Carol Kilgore said…
Glad you had such a marvelous time!
Hannah said…
LOL, I love that you were so excited!! When I see a fave in concert, I can't stop listening to their music for weeks.

Unfortunately, a lot of my faves don't do concerts or have died recently. Sad.

But yay!! I'm glad you got so many great pics.
Meredith said…
What an awesome experience! I definitely have to listen to more Incubus--they sound awesome! Love that you got pit tickets. Best way to see a concert by far. :)
Lola Sharp said…
I've seen them live quite a few times and yeah, they still got it. :) I'm so glad you had an awesome time (knew you would), and that you're enjoying the afterglow of inspiration.

I also love all that mushy love talk you have going on at the end of your post. :) *squishy hugs*

Love you,
me
Sarah Ahiers said…
Yeah, i'm pro Incubus lyrics. Did they play Dig? That's quite possibly my all time fav Incubus song. Well, that and Stellar
Tara said…
Sarah, they did an amazing remix of Dig, actually. Somehow managed to make it even more beautiful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZzhXU7XXI

And, Stellar. Yeah. Yum. They didn't do it, though. But that's okay, I'm not a fan of that one live.

Lola. LOL. You are wearing me down, my preciousss.
Unknown said…
Sounds like a wonderful concert. I haven't really heard this band play but I'm going to look up their songs.
Talli Roland said…
Wow, it sounds like you had a great time! Love the photos.
Robert Guthrie said…
Um, I keep meaning to ask where the banner photo is from. Reminds me of Boca Raton. Anyway, I smile whenever I see it.
LTM said…
ahh... I remember Incubus. Amazing those guys are still together and rockin on! Fun stuff, Tara! :o)
Jon Paul said…
Sounds like it was a great show! It's been years since I got out to see some live music--what with my line of work--but you've got me wanting to get back into it.

And yeah, Lola was right 'bout the tail end of the post. Gave me a grin anyway.
lettucehead said…
I love Incubus as well. They changed my life in 1999, when Make Yourself album came out. I can't wait to see their performance next month :)
Luanne G. Smith said…
Love going to live concerts. So much fun. And brave you in the pit. :)
Lydia Kang said…
Nice lyrics! I haven't been to a concert in too long, sadly.
M Pax said…
Wow, you were really close. Awesome. Sounds like a fabulous time. I'm glad you had such a great time.
Southpaw said…
Sounds like fun and good for you for getting pit seats, er' spots.
roh morgon said…
Ahhh! I can't wait to go!

Thanks so much for the replay. I've been wondering how it went, though I knew it would be awesome.

I'll check out your facebook when I get home.

BTW - my hubby said my ARCs of Watcher were sitting at the gate when he got home this afternoon...
Trisha said…
I really like Incubus, but I don't know them all that well. Glad you enjoyed the concert!! I've never seen them.
Tara said…
Roh - I wish I could come out and go with you. We'd have a blast!! Squee, about Watcher. ;-D

Lettuce - Ah. Make Yourself. I think they did 3 from that one. Such a great album. But, aren't they all. :)

Robert - Yep, sure is. Boca's my hometown. Moved away about 7 years ago.

Clarissa - All the green highlights are links - you don't have to go far to look them up. ;)
WritingNut said…
Sounds like you had an awesome time!
Alleged Author said…
The hubby would love to see Incubus. Now I won't hear the end of it since I showed him this post. :P
Jemi Fraser said…
Sounds like you had a fabulous time!! Concerts are so much fun - especially when you get so close to the stage!
Stina said…
Me thinks you had a great time. :D
Lisa Gail Green said…
Ha ha! When I saw the title I thought you meant the creature. :D LOL! Glad you had an awesome time!
Angela said…
This is so awesome that you had a night out, and I can tell you are a true fan. Your energy is practically bubbling off the page.
I don't know Incubus but I will look them up. I love rock shows! In the last year or so, I saw Nightwish, Skillet and Linkin Park. All by myself since no one in my family shares my music taste.
Jase said…
Love this blog post! A really interesting read! Followed!
Deniz Bevan said…
A brilliant concert review, Tara. I always enjoy reading these.
And, oh! I hear you on the grammar. Love Aerosmith, and I fully understand why the lyrics have to be the way they are, but every time I hear "said my get up and go must've got up and went" I think "got up and GONE!"
Tara said…
Carole, how can you be a Linkin Park (my son's fave, btw) and Skillet fan and not know Incubus, lol? Not the same music, but they cross paths enough. ;-)

Lol,, Deniz. I usually just tell myself that I'm not hearing it correctly. And maybe that's true...right? ;-)
Susan Fields said…
Sounds like you had a fantastic time! I hadn't been to a concert in many, many years, but one of my favorite bands came to town last summer and my husband took me to see them. I thought I'd feel awkward and out of place among all the young 'uns, but I danced and sang all night and absolutely loved it!
L. Diane Wolfe said…
I love some of their songs. Lead singer is SO skinny though! He must have a hard time finding women skinnier than he is to date.
Alicia Gregoire said…
Sounds like you had a great time at the concert. I love when that happens!
msmariah said…
Great review of the concert. I've heard that they're fun to see live. Great blog by the way. Following...
Anonymous said…
This sounded like a BLAST! I love when you can connect with musicians like that through their writing.
Portia said…
What fantastic photos! OK, I can see why you love them :-) I'm kinda getting a crush, too ...
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lexcade said…
I'm soooooooooooo jealous!!! And also sooooooooo glad you got to go! Thanks for the fabulous write-up!

I LOVE Anna Molly. That's one of my favorite songs by them. My obsession off If Not Now, When? is Isadore, but God only knows how much I love the title track, too.

And Dig is my and my boyfriend's song. I love it!
Steve said…
Saw Incubus a few years back and absolutely loved them! Morning View is my favorite of theirs.
Tara said…
Thanks, Lex. Yeah, the title track is unreal, just so amazing. Talk about a powerful voice!

And Dig. Such a beautiful song.


Thanks for stopping by, Steve! I think MV is probably the album that would land highest on a vote from their fans - but not by much.