Exercise

Hullo my pretties...

I was internetless for a few days (grr!) but I am stopping by for another quickie. This month's exercise in the Books and Writers Forum is a great one. It has also exploded! We ususally have about 10 participants, and I think we're pushing 30. Hard to keep up.

The October Exercise comes from the uber-talented author, and former agent, Barbara Rogan:Your challenge this time is simple to state, but fiendishly difficult to execute. In 500 words or less, make me cry.

I only made it to 246 before I had to stop.

**
Those little fists should be waving, grasping my fingers, but they are tied down so you can’t loosen the needles and wires. The smallest contact overstimulates your too-thin flesh but you can’t cry out with that tube down your throat, feeding you, the mask covering that beautiful face, pumping precious air into those underdeveloped lungs.

It took so long before you moved, cried. Before you lived.

Machines blink and beep to let me know you’re still alive, and fighting. I’d worried for months at the long-term effect the drugs could have on you if you needed them. Now, I can only think about how lucky I am they are available to you.

Your strength is all that gives me mine as I watch you struggle to claim each gulp of air, your sunken chest heaving with the effort it takes. I lay my palm over your head, the only comfort I can offer. My body aches to hold you, but it will be two more days before I can gently ease you into my arms and let you know I’m your mommy, that you will be okay. Ten minutes at a time is all I will have those first weeks, until you can regulate your own body temperature without the heat lamps. I'll use it to assure you I will protect you and nurture you, comfort, teach, and love you for the rest of my life.

The two days until I feel your skin against mine will be the longest of my life.
**

Due to missing work, and having 2 days to make up another 15 hours (I work online), I will not be back to commenting until next week.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Comments

Glad you're back - and that was really sad.
Jon Paul said…
Welcome back!

And yeah: I'm with Alex. Nice job on the exercise...
Angelina Rain said…
Great job. That was really sad.

Now onto a different topic. . . You work online? What do you do? Are they hireing? I would love to have a job where I don't have to leave my house to go to work.
Old Kitty said…
Thank you for this very sad and very beautiful story!!

Take care
x
Carol Kilgore said…
You nailed it! Talk to you later.
Deniz Bevan said…
Well, you know this one made me cry. I can't remember the last time we had an X with that many players - thank goodness for the word count limit!
Lola Sharp said…
Heart-wrenchingly beautiful, love.

I hope you're caught up with work...and writing. :)

Love you,
me
roh morgon said…
Very heartbreaking...