Mormon Diaries

 If you haven't read Mormon Diaries by Sophia L. Stone (twitter), you should.

 Brought up in a religious home, Sophia believes the only way to have a forever family is by following church leaders and obediently choosing the right. She goes to the right school, marries the right man in the right place, and does the right thing by staying home to raise her children. But when she starts asking questions about grace, love, and the nature of God, she realizes her spiritual struggles could rip her family apart.

From the get-go Sophia Stone's stellar writing drew me right in. (Truly, I think she could have been writing about a dog taking a walk and I would have been riveted by her writing.) The honesty and her underlying pain kept me glued to the pages. I read it straight through in one afternoon.

I won't get into my personal stance on religion in general, but I am fascinated by how and why others follow their chosen/given religions. The remarkable journey Sophia takes through this story, from childhood to married to parent, opened my eyes to a religion I knew very little about. The matter-of-fact writing keeps the story clean and gives the reader an in depth look at someone's true feelings in a way that is not preachy or slanted.

I seriously cannot recommend this one highly enough.

Amazon - Kindle
B&N
Amazon - paper


Comments

Old Kitty said…
Thanks for the review! I really wish Sophia all the best with this amazing book! Yay! take care
x
Zan Marie said…
Oooh! sounds like one I need to read. Thanks for the review, Tara.
Jai Joshi said…
Great review, Tara!

Jai
I've read part of it and it's powerful.
Tara said…
Very powerful, Alex!

Zan Marie, you would really enjoy this. [s]

Thanks, Jai!

OK - I wish her the same. She deserves it. :)
Amy Jarecki said…
Hi Tara - Thanks for following my blog. Mormon diaries sounds interesting. I live in Utah and topic is "close to home"!
LTM said…
I HAVE read this book, and it is awesome! Great rec, Tara! Hope you're doing great! :o) <3
Tara said…
Amy, thanks for stopping by and following my blog.

Isn't it, though, Leigh? Doing well - hope the same for you. :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Argh, another one for the TBR pile!