Self Lovin' Bloghop

In my last post I mentioned I wanted to do a bloghop (my first--I'm nervous, please let someone sign up!). I also mentioned I needed to figure out how to do linky, which wasn't exactly an accurate statement. It should have been worded more like: I need to stop being lazy and read the directions. (Well at least when my son asks how to do a homework problem and I tell him read the directions and he responds, "oh, now I get it" I know he comes by it honestly. ;-p ) Directions are read, and boy is it simple. Or so it seems; this doesn't mean it's going to work when I paste in the code...

The Self Lovin' Bloghop

Being a writer is hard, and often lonely. And it's far too easy to go through the last scene/chapter we wrote and spy everything that's wrong with it--and then some. There've been plenty of times I've looked something over and thought it was lower than garbage, like that part of my hard drive should be wiped free of its slimy ooze. Even after sharing it with my closest writerly friend who point out it's great stuff and they wouldn't suggest changing much, if anything, I often still can't see what they see.

But you know what? I believe writers are driven to it for a reason. There's just something inside us that makes it natural for us to write. You may be a hack with grammar but silence crowded parties with your storytelling abilities. Maybe your characters come out looking like Flat Stanley but you can write an epic saga without a single grammar mistake or typo. Perhaps show vs. tell eludes you after years of slapping out words, but your plotting skills are the bomb. Your description is bland but your tension makes even the computer sweat as it waits for you to get to the end of the scene.

You know the best part? All of the formers can be fixed and made better with time and writing. (Just keep writing, just keep writing...) so you're already half way there! Never give up!

So please share with us what you're good at. There's something--I know there's something--no matter how small you think it is.

I'm aware a massive amount of my fellow bloggerly writers are participating in the A to Z challenge (Huge, huge kudos to you all. I'm astounded each year at all the fantastic posts and ability you all have to keep up!) so I'm leaving the dates open to any day during the 3rd week of March (17-21)--just before the challenge to pump yourselves up a little. I'll keep the linky open until the 21st, so if you'd like to sign up that Friday and post the next week instead, by all means please do! The purpose of this bloghop is to encourage, not add stress. Which also means the post can be as short as one sentence if you'd like: I type super fast! Seriously, that can be it as long as it's somthing positive, and about yourself.

Have fun with it, and best of luck to those doing A to Z!

Comments

Now all you need is a badge!
I definitely don't type super fast. But I can think of something.
Old Kitty said…
I must be good at something other than procrastinating!! LOL!!! But typing super fast is totally a super power as far as I'm concerned! Yay for you! Take care
x
S.P. Bowers said…
I'm in, and I'll try to link to this later this week.
It's a great idea for a bloghop. Not sure what I'm good at. I've been told I'm good at encouraging others.
Leslie S. Rose said…
I think this is an awesome idea for a bloghop. Thanks for stopping by my blog and supporting Julie.
Totally love this idea :) Signing up for sure! Post is planned for the 19th!
Unknown said…
You're so funny! This is an excellent idea for a blog hop. Looking forward to it. :)
DEZMOND said…
Never give up... unless you're really bad and the world will be saved if some of the very popular writers would stop writing :PPP
TL said…
Alex, Kyra was sweet enough to make me a badge--now I just have to figure out how to use it. ;)

Lynda, I'm sure you can think of something!

Thanks everyone for joining. I can't wait to read all the posts in a few weeks!
I love your thinking!There is so much to learn, and honestly, the learning never stops...or at least it shouldn't!

Signed up for the hop. Best of luck with it. I'll add a shout out to my blog.
Unknown said…
I'm good at dialog, but really struggle with setting. That's one of the main reasons why I write contemporary. The idea of "world building" terrifies me.
Wow. Yet another author here in the blogosphere to fill me with awe. And a challenge to go with it.
I am sure there is something I am good at, but what it might be escapes me. I will give this some thought.
Jemi Fraser said…
Great idea! I'm in :)
Christine Rains said…
Wonderful idea for a bloghop. Funny how I can immediately think of a lot of things I need to work on than my strengths. But I think most writers are like that. :)
One thing I'm good at is writing stuff that makes people laugh; I don't think I'd ever have the courage that stand-up comics have, but at least I can write funny things down.
Tammy Theriault said…
Tara, this is a cute idea for a bloghop! if I get time in my schedule, i'll come right back and sign up!!
Love this idea - signed up :-)
Liz Blocker said…
Oh yeah, where's the super-cool badge? ;) No, no I'm kidding! This is a great idea, and so positive and supportive. I'm signing up :) Thank you!
Crystal Collier said…
I'm totally in. I'm good at something...even if it's just eating cheese. =) Looking forward to the hop!
M Pax said…
My strong suit is description. Great idea for a hop.
SC Author said…
I'm in! Sounds like a blast :)
TL said…
I'm really excited to see so many signing up! This will be a blast.

Thanks everyone. :)
Sarah Foster said…
Sounds great! Signed up :)
Kittie Howard said…
Sounds like fun! I'm in. :)
Anonymous said…
This looks like a great hop. I wish I wasn't booked for that week.
Now, that's some ambitious reading!
Nas said…
Sounds like fun. Looking forward to reading everyone's post.
Carol Kilgore said…
I have something scheduled already for that week, but if I can figure out how to squeeze this into that post, I'll come back and sign up. I'll be writing that post this weekend, I hope.
Jeff Hargett said…
hmmm... I really do type super fast. Must ponder. Neat idea though. It's so much easier to list weaknesses and insecurities.